Block Heater install

/ Block Heater install #1  

mffarmall

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425, MF 50, JD B, Farmall Super MTA
I have a FarmPro 2425 and am going to install a Napa 605-1477. I do not want to cut the hose. I'm just going to install a short section from the radiator to the heater.

Is it better to just get a new hose? What size diameter does it take?

Does the water flow from the block into the radiator or rad to block on the lower connection?

/ Block Heater install #2  
You are making this way to hard. Just cut the hose. I am guessing if you add hose it will pinch the hose due to it being too long. The directions on my heater actually had you take a 2" section or so of hose out to account for the length of the heater. When its time replace the hose as needed.

Chris

/ Block Heater install #3  
Does the water flow from the block into the radiator or rad to block on the lower connection?

Most systems should have cool water flowing from the bottom of the radiator to the block. :D

/ Block Heater install #4  
Coolant flow trivia:
Actually, the coolant flows from the bottom of the radiator to the suction side of the pump (a small portion of this passes through the by-pass and back to the top tank to prevent the pump from churning). This allows for back-pressure regulation by the thermostat, thus keeping coolant aeration to a minimum, making sure there are no air pockets around the cylinders and cylinder head.

/ Block Heater install
Thanks for the help. I figured that the water flow needed to be the same direction when you install the heater. So block to radiator. Or is the heater a passive system only heating the water?

/ Block Heater install #6  
... is the heater a passive system only heating the water?
Yes, passive - that is, no forced circulation like you'd see from a tank heater. Just like sticking one of those little electric heaters in a tea cup, it works on the conduction principle; warmth spreading out in all directions from the heating element. Situated in the lower radiator hose - and considering that heat rises - that warms the radiator water. In the other direction, conduction also spreads some warmth into the water jackets - via water pump and subsequent coolant passages

Personally, I prefer an oil pan heater. Again heat rises, and the pan is even lower than the bottom heater hose. Oil thins as it warms, making a cold engine spin faster. Heat rising off the oil also warms the block, to include the water jackets. Given the right circumstances, this warmth can be conducted as far back as the radiator.

//greg//

/ Block Heater install
I found a Katz for 19.00 at autozone. Know of any place cheaper?

If anyone knows the hose diameter for this? I think it's 1 1/4 but not sure.

/ Block Heater install #8  
That is a good price. Mine was a 1 1/2" on my Jinma 254. Here is a pic with the part #.

Chris

Attachments

• Engineheater003.jpg
    Engineheater003.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 388
   / Block Heater install
Thanks for the 1 1/2 tip it really helped. Got it installed over the next night. It was easy to put in. I just needed to rethink the overall position of it. I have pictures to add. I did not even have to drain the system. I just used some aluminum and speed ties on the ends. I put a plastic bag in a bucket to catch the fluids(that way it was clean and I could lower my cost. I just changed out my fluids during the summer.

Attachments

• DSC04505.jpg
    DSC04505.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC04507.jpg
    DSC04507.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC04509.jpg
    DSC04509.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC04522.jpg
    DSC04522.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 613
   / Block Heater install
The end result. Snow and 14 the next night. She started up on the first try.

Attachments

• DSC04529.jpg
    DSC04529.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 1,247
  • DSC04535.jpg
    DSC04535.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC04537.jpg
    DSC04537.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 336