Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Farm Pro 2425, MF 50, JD B, Farmall Super MTA

Default Block Heater install

I have a FarmPro 2425 and am going to install a Napa 605-1477. I do not want to cut the hose. I'm just going to install a short section from the radiator to the heater.

Is it better to just get a new hose? What size diameter does it take?

Does the water flow from the block into the radiator or rad to block on the lower connection?
    Getting Stupid with Hydraulics is a calling.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Default Re: Block Heater install

You are making this way to hard. Just cut the hose. I am guessing if you add hose it will pinch the hose due to it being too long. The directions on my heater actually had you take a 2" section or so of hose out to account for the length of the heater. When its time replace the hose as needed.

Chris

Does the water flow from the block into the radiator or rad to block on the lower connection?
    Most systems should have cool water flowing from the bottom of the radiator to the block.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Coolant flow trivia:
    Actually, the coolant flows from the bottom of the radiator to the suction side of the pump (a small portion of this passes through the by-pass and back to the top tank to prevent the pump from churning). This allows for back-pressure regulation by the thermostat, thus keeping coolant aeration to a minimum, making sure there are no air pockets around the cylinders and cylinder head.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

Tractor

Thanks for the help. I figured that the water flow needed to be the same direction when you install the heater. So block to radiator. Or is the heater a passive system only heating the water?

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Quote Originally Posted by mffarmall View Post
    ... is the heater a passive system only heating the water?
    Yes, passive - that is, no forced circulation like you'd see from a tank heater. Just like sticking one of those little electric heaters in a tea cup, it works on the conduction principle; warmth spreading out in all directions from the heating element. Situated in the lower radiator hose - and considering that heat rises - that warms the radiator water. In the other direction, conduction also spreads some warmth into the water jackets - via water pump and subsequent coolant passages

Personally, I prefer an oil pan heater. Again heat rises, and the pan is even lower than the bottom heater hose. Oil thins as it warms, making a cold engine spin faster. Heat rising off the oil also warms the block, to include the water jackets. Given the right circumstances, this warmth can be conducted as far back as the radiator.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor

I found a Katz for 19.00 at autozone. Know of any place cheaper?

If anyone knows the hose diameter for this? I think it's 1 1/4 but not sure.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

That is a good price. Mine was a 1 1/2" on my Jinma 254. Here is a pic with the part #.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor

Thanks for the 1 1/2 tip it really helped. Got it installed over the next night. It was easy to put in. I just needed to rethink the overall position of it. I have pictures to add. I did not even have to drain the system. I just used some aluminum and speed ties on the ends. I put a plastic bag in a bucket to catch the fluids(that way it was clean and I could lower my cost. I just changed out my fluids during the summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc04505-jpg   -dsc04507-jpg   -dsc04509-jpg   -dsc04522-jpg  

Tractor

The end result. Snow and 14 the next night. She started up on the first try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc04529-jpg   -dsc04535-jpg   -dsc04537-jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast