Oil & Fuel Air filter oil bath Jinma 204

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #1  

Catch95

Silver Member
Tractor
Jinma 204
Excuse my ignorance on this, but I went to clean the air filter on my Jinma and think it is the oil bath type (without any oil in the bath). There is a round steel wool type filter in a frame, and then above that another steel wool filter that doesn't have a frame.

Should I clean these and how? Do I add oil to the bath and what type and how much? Would not having had oil contributed to the engine running hot?

Can you replace them with a standard type air filter and does anyone have a part number?

Excuse all the questions but haven't struck this type of filter system before.

Thanks

Mark

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #2  
clean the "steel wool" with a solvent ( I use diesel, never use gasoline). fill to the line at the bottom (only about an inch or so) with motor oil. Its not fussy. Never have to buy a new element! I don't think it would make it run hot, but no oil in there could allow dust into the engine...

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #3  
Chip is correct on all counts, but I'd like to add that a treated pleated paper filter element is far more effecient, and if it is sized right for the engine, will actually cost less to maintain that the oil bath type.

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204
Many thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have a reference for a paper type filter? Mine is the TY290 engine

Thanks

Mark

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #5  
Does anyone have a reference for a paper type filter?
I'd be surprised if there was a paper cartridge to fit your oil bath housing. The likely solution is to simply replace the housing: FarmPro Parts - Item Details: Y385T-1-1500-1, SKU: 20000668 . It's not a direct replacement, cuz the factory usually mounts them in front of the radiator. But that's something you'd have to work out yourself. Once you have it mounted somewhere - and connected to the intake manifold - then start buying paper filters from that point.

//greg//

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #6  
I have been around Chinese tractors for at least 8 years now and have never seen a oil bath on one. Seen them on my old Fords but never on a Chinese tractor. Just learned something new.

Chris

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204
Many thanks for the advice. I went onto the FarmPro site as per Greg's suggestion. The attached pics are what I currently have. I don't tend to be in a dusty area but obviously get a bit of stuff flying around when cutting pastures.

With clean elements and some oil in the bath will this work ok?

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• thumbnailCAY3M0UJ.jpg
    thumbnailCAY3M0UJ.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,764
  • thumbnailCA11U6OI.jpg
    thumbnailCA11U6OI.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,303
  • thumbnailCAXACRNJ.jpg
    thumbnailCAXACRNJ.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 780
   / Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #8  
Oil bath is fine. All the Ford 8n's, 2n's, 9n,s, 800's 900,s and many more have used them for 60+ years. I would not reinvent the wheel. Just use it as designed.

Chris

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #9  
Chip is correct on all counts, but I'd like to add that a treated pleated paper filter element is far more effecient, and if it is sized right for the engine, will actually cost less to maintain that the oil bath type.

I wouldn't automatically assume they are more efficient.. many tractors used this for decades... I believe many of them changed to make srvicing easier.. or to 'sell' more parts... not so much that it was a bad system..

soundguy

/ Air filter oil bath Jinma 204 #10  
I will say that back when I worked for Cat a lot of their air filters were still oil bath, and as conservative as Cat is, they were slow to adopt the reusable paper element but after a lot of R&D on the subject they finally switched over. The pre-cleaners and pre-filters still remain. Here is a nice article on the subject of oil bath vs. paper air filters. And there are tons more.