Snow Snow Plow Loader Modification

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification #1  

TTTTTT

Gold Member
Tractor
Dong Feng 354 (Oct 2008)
This is a mod for my quick attach loader that is finished but yet to be tried. This weekend I'm taking it up to the cottage where there is about 2 feet of snow. I hope all my measurments are right as I have not tried the new loader bracket on the actual loader. It has now been painted but I didn' get a pic yet. Wanted to make sure everthing was going to work. As I am new to welding it is definitely not a piece of art but should be built to last. I was lucky to get most of the steel for it for nothing so that made it easier. I didn't want to destroy the plow frame so I made so it could be removed with a long 3/4" dia pin. This way the plow could still be used on a conventional truck frame. Also this way I can just remove the plow quickly (1 pin) and use the new loader frame for another mod. Actually I plan to add a 2" reciever piece on top for normal hitch type attachments and definitly for a boom extention (next year). I put a new wear bar on and bought new skid shoes. The hydraulic cylinders are good and will hook up lines to control angle adjustment next year with loader controls doing the rest. I'll post pics and maybe a video clip next week. Hopefully all will go as planned

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Existing Loader

Cheap 8' Plow

New Loader/Plow Adapter

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification #2  
That looks good. As long as the snow is removed, looks are nothing. I was just wondering what the weight is? Are you going to need to put some weight on the back of the tractor to even you out?

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification
That looks good. As long as the snow is removed, looks are nothing. I was just wondering what the weight is? Are you going to need to put some weight on the back of the tractor to even you out?

The plow probably weighs in at about 400-500 lbs, I can lift the bracket I made, so it is probably about 100-120 lbs. Given that, its 1/2 the loader capacity, so I'm not too worried except for the extra weight in the back for traction. May have to add some if I can't get enough grip. We'll see....

Thanks Dave

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification #4  
Just run around with a bush hog or something like that on and you will be fine. The problem is not the weight but the distance it will be form the tractor.

Chris

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification #5  
How are you going to hold the plow up? A chain? If so to... what?

My only comment is that it looks way to far forward of the loader, and I think you might have steering problems because the plow is so far forward, and you possibly risk torquing your loader frame because of the extended length.

Your fabrication looks top-notch though:D

PS. Just so you don't think I'm attacking you...I had a FEL plow that i had built myself-but got rid of it because of the loss of steering and the constant need for adjustment it requires to operate.

Thanks for the comments. I have thought of that. Although I haven't operated a plow in this way, the plow would be supported on the skid shoes at the right level. With the float control for the loader I thought this would absorb any minor elevation changes. Of course I will not be going fast like a pickup clearing out a parking lot. I would hope to take it slow and controled in areas I am familiar with. Of course hoping not to hit one of those imovable objects that could mess things up. I am interested in any comments or experiences. Either way after this weekend I will have good idea what it will be like. At least I don't have a lot of $'s invested and I could probably sell off the plow for more than what I paid, (I purposely didn't butcher the A frame of the plow) and did put a new wear bar on the front. I'll post how it all turns out.

Dave

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification #7  
the plow would be supported on the skid shoes at the right level.

OK, I see now, I missed the part of the frame forward of your long pin that holds the plow from tipping down when you raise the FEL. That's why I asked about the chain.

With the float control for the loader I thought this would absorb any minor elevation changes

I think if you put the FEL in float, the loader arms will go down to low.

I hope I am wrong and it all works well for you- I know my experience was less than pleasurable, but my tractor is smaller than yours also,

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification #8  
I was thinking about buying a snow blower for the front. Anyone know where to get one cheap?

As I get older it seems that things that save time are worth it.

Sorry about that. I'm hoping extending the frame forward will make it stable enough. Also when I move the wheels out to a wider stance next year, I should get a little more stability for the plow and help for the steering. If the float drops the plow down, the skid shoes set at the right will keep it where I want also taking some of the weight and strain off the loader frame. It sounds good in theory, hope it will work in practice.

Dave

/ Snow Plow Loader Modification #10  
Nice fab work. I am interested in how it will workout for you. I agree with Kennyd about it being to far foward. You will definately need alot of weight on the rear of your tractor for traction. I was planning and still am contemplating adapting a blade I have to the front of my tractor. The thing I am contemplating is whether to put it on the loader or attaching to the frame of the tractor.
If you are planning on using the float postion on your loader I would reccomend putting skids directly under your attaching point to the loader and also the skids on the blade.
Another thing maybe shorten the center section on the frame. Looks to ba about a foot or so. This might help with having sit so far out but still having the stability.
I hope it is alright but I modified some of your photos to show you what I am talking about.
Either way it is nice to build your own things and use them.
On a side note just curious what tractor you have(hp, weight, width, lift capacity).

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 293
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 301
  • mod3.jpg
    mod3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 696