Chains Chains

/ Chains #1  

mffarmall

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425, MF 50, JD B, Farmall Super MTA
With these being 4x4. An one found that they needed chains for winter?

/ Chains #2  
Not me. I guess on Ice you could use all the traction you can get but my 254 with the R1 tires will handle 24" or larger drifts. I have had it in snow up to the head lights and it keep chugging along.

Chris

/ Chains
I guess that you can be prepared for 90% and there will always be that one day you needed something but only for that one day.

/ Chains #4  
I had 2 put chains on the rear of my 254, moderately steep unpaved drive that gets icy. If it were just snow it is a tank, though.

/ Chains #5  
All depends on what you're driving in and if you have a need to go up/down slopes. When I'm backblading snow down to the pastures the lands pretty sloped and I'd be stuck without chains (and I have R1's). Got the tires loaded and that makes a huge difference but still better with chains. If I were ONLY snowblowing I could get by without chains but when using the back blade or doing loader work in the snow, the chains give me much better traction and are well worth the $200 they cost me.

/ Chains
Probably don't need them. But might pick some up over the summer.

/ Chains #7  
I have ag tires and have chains for all four tires. I have a hill on my laneway and at certain times it becomes glare ice. As someone said in another forum on here its not so much that it won't get up the hill, it's the sliding down backwards and then sideways that really gets to you:eek::eek:. Snow is never a issue.