Oil & Fuel Filter System for used oil

/ Filter System for used oil #1  

valley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Michigan 55A, Foton 254
Greetings, Have you built a Filtering system for used oils? What type of pump did you use? How did you set it up? Pictures are always nice!

I plan to to set up a filtration System. I plan to use a Frantz filter. Thanks Richard

/ Filter System for used oil #2  
Why? What are you going to do with the used oil? If you are thinking of running it trough the tractor or any other diesel is it worth risking a $500 injector pump or expensive injectors for a few gallons of savings in fuel cost? I can not see a end user of oil like most of us to offset the cost of the system used to pump and filter the oil in a 100 years.

Chris

/ Filter System for used oil
You are right Chris. I can find good uses for clean oil that I promise would not be offensive,like oiling hinges, go cart wheels, goat elbows and the like. Though I have heard of commercial trucking firms doing what you mentioned regularly for years also someone I have great respect for has done just that.
I did see a thread where an inventive guy used an Airless Paint pot to send the oil through a filter and another, years ago, demonstrating the Frantz Filter at a show had arranged a pump to do it.

/ Filter System for used oil #4  
Truckers do and did run the oil at one time. What you have to remember is they are using 100 gallons per day per truck of fuel so putting in 2-3 quarts at a time is nothing. They also have the means to filter it down to .5 microns or something like that. Now days used oil is selling for $2 a gallon so it does not make $$$$$ for them to run it as a fuel. They just wait till the firm they work for has a few hundred gallons of waste oil then sell it.

Chris

/ Filter System for used oil #5  
Greetings, Have you built a Filtering system for used oils? What type of pump did you use? How did you set it up? Pictures are always nice!

I plan to to set up a filtration System. I plan to use a Frantz filter. Thanks Richard
What are you gona do with the oil after it's filtered ???????

Thanks Chris, I do have a gear pump off a jeep engine. That might be used for this. But I'll bet there is someone who has made a very good unit to cleanse and use dirty oil. I'd like to see that.

Greetings, I do buy oil to use here on the property. I'll know as I use it.

Someone was suggesting gravity feed to the filter. That seems a slow way to do it.

/ Filter System for used oil #9  
we played around once with a small pump & filter, (water type and a car engine type filters) but in both cases it did not clean the oil to like new, and clogged up fast when the oil was very dirty. this was used to try & remove excess particulates prior to burning it in a used oil burner/shop heater... The pump was not a gear pump so did not produce a great deal of pressure, which was required. In the end it was a gravity cloth pre-filter (cheese cloth bundle) into the drum (ran along the side so it did not stir the drum oil as it went in.) let the oil settle for a long time and skim off the top with the pump into the burner system which worked about as well as anything, met our needs anyway, (this was back in the mid 70's when I was a pre-teen kid.) I did not do much on it other than get to play in the dirty oil...

mark

Greetings Mark. I worked at a VW agency years ago. On of the mechanics told of straining oil through a stack of shop rags and that "There is no better oil den dat"
On a site about the filter I refered to above, a guy used a pressure tank to filter and showed the oil as it went through the filter each time letting it run down a light peice of wood. It became clear as fresh oil. Thats what I would like to see. Was the pump you wrote of a water pump? Richard

Last edited: