Broken Steering Knuckle/Arm Notrac 254

/ Broken Steering Knuckle/Arm Notrac 254 #1  

nt254

I was driving my Nortrac 254 this afternoon when the Steering Knuckle/Arm broke. This is a 2000 model with about 700 hrs. It has the steering cylinder that runs from the bell housing to the front axle. It does Not have a front end loader and I do Not push the tractor hard. I use it to mow, plow, and move a little dirt with a rear dirt scoop. What could have caused this part to break. Where can I find the part and are the newer Steering Arms made any better? Any info would be great.
Thanks,
NT 254

/ Broken Steering Knuckle/Arm Notrac 254 #2  
That was a common problem on that early design, and the solution was to relocate the hyd cylinder to the front axle. Tommy at Affordable in Texas probably has the part, Northern tool might also. I'm guessing you have a loader, once you fix it, it might help if you avoid turning the wheels when the tractor is not moving as much as possible. I do think that the part was improved so your replacement might do better.

/ Broken Steering Knuckle/Arm Notrac 254 #3  
Has the steering rod/cylinder been hitting the timing case[believe thats what it was],when the front axil piviots I mean,like when left front comes up and right front goes down,there is a stop there,on top of axil housing,but its not high enough.

My neighbors 254 had this problem,I welded a little shim about 1/4 thick or less on top of that stop,stoped the axil from coming up so far.

/ Broken Steering Knuckle/Arm Notrac 254 #5  
Well guess we'll never know. But if what I said was right in his case,a new one won't last long either,unless he shims that stop up.

/ Broken Steering Knuckle/Arm Notrac 254
I want to thank Ranch Hand Supply and Affordable Tractors for helping me with this matter. Affordable had a Steering Arm in stock and I had the part in just a few days. Thanks for the very quick shipping time!! (The new part is made better/stronger than the old one.) After looking at the old arm I think I know what caused the break. Bad casting of the old arm. Where it broke the metal inside the arm was 2 colors shinny and dark. It looked like the arm was only held together around a few edges and 1 side. The rest of the metal inside the broken area was dull in color. I do not know for sure if this is what happened. I do know that I do not abuse the tractor, and it does Not have a front end loader.
Thanks,
NT 254

/ Broken Steering Knuckle/Arm Notrac 254 #7  
So,the steering cylinder wasn't touching/pushing against the side of motor/timing case when left front goes up and right goes down? Been alot of these break,and the reason for at least one of them breaking was because of what I described.