Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy?

/ Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy? #1  

mpaschetto

Hi all....

I've searched all around the internet, and this seemed like a good place to sign up and make my first post!

A neighbor is offering to sell a DF-354 (Bulldog brand) with a Koyker #160 loader and LW-7 backhoe attachment. It's only got about 100 hours on it, and is in very good condition. I'm a little bit worried about parts availability, and the overall quality of the tractor in general...should I be concerned?

Also, since I have no frame of reference as far as pricing is concerned, what would be a fair market value for this tractor and the attachments?

TIA,

Mike

/ Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy? #2  
   / Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy? #3  
The older DF tractors used the same engines that Jinma used,the new ones use a different engine,We have all the engine parts including complete new engines in the crate,Chip at Artrac is selling DF now also and has a good supply of parts,price for the tractor will depend on several factors,Koyker is made in SD. new value is around $ 3,500.00 the backhoe is Chinese(personal opinion I don't like them much) ?? I would think that $ 6,000-8,000.00 would be a price range,to own a chinese tractor you need to have some mechanical ability as they do require a little hands on at times,if you have that ability I think the tractor will do just about anything you would need it to do.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy?
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info thusfar, it's helpful.
Any other opinons are welcomed!

Mike

/ Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy? #5  
HI Mike,

I have DF354 but one of the newer ones (2007) wih the body changes and the Chang Chai engines that Tommy mentioned. Its not an equal comparison, but I love the DF so far. I have the Townsunny FEL and BH which are great. So far the quality seems excellent with not to many hours yet though. The BH may be an issue but if the price is right. If I assume a mannual transmission, it may be the same as mine. Mine seems pretty smooth and have no issues yet. The 4WD and rear diif lock work well.

/ Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy? #6  
We invested heavily in parts for our AgTrac line, most of which will fit the Bulldog. We also get very good service and excellent communications with our factory contacts. parts should not be a problem. The parts we get from DFAM are as high a quality as ANY tractor parts I have seen (regardless of country of origin). The reason I switched to the DF tractors was the quality of their in house machine shop. Many chinese tractor companies don't even make their own parts and of those that do, some of them are using 1960's (Pre CNC or even NC) "technology" (using the term loosly). As Tommy said, that one will have the TY385 Jaingsu Jaingdong engine, still in production and used in JInma, dozers, KAMAs, and YTOs to name a few. parts should be of little concern.

Everyone,

Thanks again for the help so far!

Because of your replies, I went back over to my neighbors house to re-examine the tractor. I took it for a ride, and went over the unit with a fine toothed comb. The tractor is MINT, everything functions as it should, and there are no leaks anywhere. The tractor was always stored indoors.

I took a closer look at the backhoe, and it is a subframe mount, not the 3-point mount. Also, the hoe is plumbed with quick disconnect fittings to utilize the tractor hydraulic pump, rather than an auxilliary PTO hydraulic pump. I'm assuming these are improvements made by the previous owner?

In any event, I really like this tractor, and I think it would be perfect for the tasks I've got around the property. The neighbor is asking $8500.00. Is this a fair asking price?

Mike

/ Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy? #8  
Is this a fair asking price?
Especially since you've got a guy that knows the machine living right next door, I'd write him out a check today. Understand however - that the maxim about never lending money to relatives can often apply to getting "a good deal" from a neighbor. Go into this with your eyes wide open, understanding that you're buying the good with the bad.

//greg//

/ Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy? #9  
I agree with Greg. Buy it or I may.

Chris

Well....

I bought it! I've already got plenty of questions for you guys! :)

Thanks for all the help thusfar.