Meyer plow on Jinma 284?

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284? #1  

Smalljobs

Gold Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
I'm getting close to buying a Jinma 284 for maintenance of my 4 acres, including a 400' gravel drive. We'll be scrapping an old Nissan Pathfinder that has a Meyer plow I bought new and only used here. It works perfectly. When we scrap the Nissan it makes sense to either sell or use the Meyer plow. I'm thinking about designing a frame mount for the Jinma and running it either off the 12V system or else eliminate the Meyer pump and run it off the Jinma hydraulics. I do not want to mount the Meyer on the loader arms. I'd welcome any input on this.

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284? #2  
I helped with a frame mount snowplow on a JD, once upon a long time ago. It worked really well. It was in close in front and we used a single cylinder to lift it instead of the plows HPU. We of course also used the swing cylinders to control blade angle. All this off the tractors hydraulics. A 284 would have plenty of hydraulic capacity to supply the relatively small cylinders used by a snowplow. I would not reccomend using the electrical system as my jinma only has I believe a 15A alternator, and a HPU could put a pretty good strain on the battery and the alt having to make up for that electrical usage.

On the plow we fit, it set in close in front of the frame, so that when straight, the loader bucket could go down in front of the blade. This did limit the angle at which we could swing the blade, but as a package, it worked very well during upstate NY winters.

Good Luck.

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284? #3  
Hi smalljobs. Just did a mod similar to what I think you want to do. See link page 4. It has worked quite well with lots of good suggestions from all here. I did make a loader adapter that I can use for other mods plus mainly for the plow. The loader controls do the up/down etc. and I am just deciding which way to go for angle movement. Either manual valve or electric solonoid. Either way I do have to plumb lines to the front which will be set with QC's for other uses.

Dave

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chinese-tractors/133729-snow-plow-loader-modification.html

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284? #4  
I mounted a fisher plow to the front of a Kama TS254 and it has worked well.

I ended up welding up a new headgear, rather than modifying the fisher one. It was less work that way. I used the original lift cylinder ( my plow had a separate belt driven hydraulic pump ), and used the tractors hydraulics to lift it.

Like the Jinma, my Kama has a remote on the lift box for running a single acting cylinder. I used this to lift the plow. It is workable this way, but kind of fussy to find the position of the three point lever were the plow doesn't continue to drift up or down when raised. I have used it this way for the last three winters, but am planning to plumb in a hydrauic valve this summer. I will use a 2 spool valve, so that I can angle the blade. Right now I am using it fixed in the angled to the right position.

The mount on you tractor should be designed so that the arms on the blade are as close to level as posible, with the plow down on level ground. If this is off too much the plow will either leave snow behind, or dig up a lot of gravel.

My plow was originally on a ford ranger. I find that the Kama has more traction, is more manuverable, and has better visability than the ranger did. The down side is that ranger had a heater and a radio, so you were more comfortable when plowing.

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284?
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've studied the Meyer mount to the Nissan Pathfinder and conveniently find the lift frame is part of the chassis frame. I also notice the chassis frame has 3 holes for height adjustment - parallelism to the ground. My plan is to design and fab a mount to hold this entire frame to the front of a Jinma 284. Since the Meyer is a complete system with 12V pump and joystick, etc. my plan is to graft the entire system to the Jinma, including the Meyer plow lights mounted on top of the lift frame. The Jinma will have a Koyker loader and the plan is to use the loader frame to properly stabilize the Meyer chassis mount.

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284? #6  
I think you are making a big mistake in your way of doing this. First the battery and alternator will not handle the draw of the pump. Second you have everything you need in the loader, just take the bucket off in the winter and mount the plow to it as others do. Third, you will have to remove the loader when plowing they way you want because of visibility issues, CG issues with ti raised, limb/branch clearance, ect.

Just keep it simple and mount it to the loader as 100's of others have done.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for your valuable input. I agree with what you've written. I've heard advice about mounting a plow to loader arms and the potential for side load damage to the arms. For my comfort, the plow would seem to be too far away anyway. I also agree with you about alternator loading. My old retired Nissan lacks the elect stamina for night plowing. I reach the point where the plow won't lift even when it was a daily driver. This old Nissan Pathfinder is basically a plow truck now with no road tags and is never driven.

First I'll try to use it "as is" (even if I have to charge the battery before a snowstorm, same as now) . I may also try to use the Jinma hydraulics along with Meyer 12V valving if possible. If I can find a way to eliminate the Meyer 12V pump while using the manifold block and solenoids, I can just the use the little Meyer 12V joystick.

For anyone who is interested, I will probably design this with Google Sketchup, make a wooden model, and then go to steel tubing. As I visualize it now, the chassis frame will probably have a rigid link connected to the Koyker loader frame. Here's why: The linear force from the plow is below the Jinma frame. This will generate a forward torque moment on my adapter frame and this moment will have to be restrained by something. I will tie this in to the Koyker frame with a custom mount and quick pin arrangement.

More to follow as this evolves.

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284? #8  
I tried to mount Meyer frame and lift to under frame of tractor and use the "T" handle for angle adjustment. What a disaster! Thats a heavy plow and ended up shearing the mounting bolts. Another bother was the push/pull cables were a tad bit short. I did install a larger battery witch worked fine. Ended up buying a "skidsteer quick attach" from Koyker and mounted the plow on it. Bonus,,, now the bucket is also quick attach, or any future equipment. Got rid of the electro/hydarulic pack and t-handle and cables. Terry

/ Meyer plow on Jinma 284? #9  
Chris,
Thanks for your valuable input. I agree with what you've written. I've heard advice about mounting a plow to loader arms and the potential for side load damage to the arms. For my comfort, the plow would seem to be too far away anyway. I also agree with you about alternator loading. My old retired Nissan lacks the elect stamina for night plowing. I reach the point where the plow won't lift even when it was a daily driver. This old Nissan Pathfinder is basically a plow truck now with no road tags and is never driven.

First I'll try to use it "as is" (even if I have to charge the battery before a snowstorm, same as now) . I may also try to use the Jinma hydraulics along with Meyer 12V valving if possible. If I can find a way to eliminate the Meyer 12V pump while using the manifold block and solenoids, I can just the use the little Meyer 12V joystick.

For anyone who is interested, I will probably design this with Google Sketchup, make a wooden model, and then go to steel tubing. As I visualize it now, the chassis frame will probably have a rigid link connected to the Koyker loader frame. Here's why: The linear force from the plow is below the Jinma frame. This will generate a forward torque moment on my adapter frame and this moment will have to be restrained by something. I will tie this in to the Koyker frame with a custom mount and quick pin arrangement.

More to follow as this evolves.

HI Steve,

Wasn't sure if you saw the link to one I did this past year. I added the part. As Chris said keeping it simply is good. Mine worked quite well. The forces on the loader arms were fine. My plow has the large springs that takes any blow nicely if you hit something solid. Of course unless it is pavement that is well known to you, you should go slow as I do. As the plow sits on the skid shoes, you are almost just pushing it along. I started with the shoes a little higher until I got a good base (frozen) and lowered them to just above the surface. For this winter I will be adding angle control via another valve that will control other attachements such as a grapple.

This is from the previous post

Sorry if you already saw all this. Just trying to help

Dave.

What I forgot to mention was the quick attach. I can take on/off the plow (one pin) to use the new adapter for other uses and then the adapter comes off easily to put the bucket back on.
Its been awhile but after a few changes, I finally got to test my plow mod with some great advise from many. I adjusted my loader adapter

Old

OLDNEW

NEW

You can see I moved the part where the plow bracket attaches back about 1.5' to improve the balance. I also beefed up where that bracket attaches. Something I wanted on this adapter was to be able to have multiple uses, so added a 2" receiver on top for any other 2" hitch attachements. With this ,it also gave me a spot to hook the chain for the plow to further support and balance the weight. (this is an older 8' steel plow-very heavy duty). The welding is not great as I was doing it in not the best conditions but wanted to get it done.

I was very happy with the results

With Plow Attached

I adjusted the skid shoes so the plow edge was at max height until a good base on the road was set and then I could lower to a better height. Soon I will get the hydraulics for the angle set and get a better paint job and then it will be all set. I was by myelf so I couldn't get any action videos. Maybe next time.

Hi Dave,
These are great pictures and will help me out a lot. Maybe your Meyer plow is bigger than mine. Yours has 4 trip springs and mine has two. Mine is a 6.5 ft and is made for an SUV. My new Jinma and Koyker 160 will come this week. Soon I will remove the Meyer from the old Nissan Pathfinder and send that to the crusher.

I still plan to attach the plow frame to the Jinma frame and keep the entire system as short as possible and will send pictures as I go along. Right now I haven't read up on how to post pictures.

Speaking of pictures, I was in China this month and took pictures of the new Jinma assembly plant. It's a modern assembly line with the new tractors all moving along. Gleaming body parts descend from an overhead conveyor, etc. Hundreds of new motors await in crates, etc. The sign out front says Mahindra Yueda [Yancheng] Tractor Co. Ltd. If someone wants to post the pictures I can send them along.