Jinma 254 Transmission question

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #1  

Acres1962

I just replaced the transmission fluid in my Jinma 254, with about 1 gallon of "non red" transmission oil. The problem is the unit barely moves in any direction. Can someone tell me exactly how much fluid goes in, and what type? I now read somewhere to use SAE 40 oil?

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #2  
I just replaced the transmission fluid in my Jinma 254, with about 1 gallon of "non red" transmission oil. The problem is the unit barely moves in any direction. Can someone tell me exactly how much fluid goes in, and what type? I now read somewhere to use SAE 40 oil?

I have a 354, I seem to recall it took about 5 gallons, I used 80W90 gear oil. But folks will have more and stronger opinions on this than religion, so get ready.

Good luck, I'm getting outta here before the OIL-atallahs get here.

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #3  
what do you mean the unit barely moves? this is a gear drive unit not hydrostatic
Scottie

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question
Scottie,

I mean it barely moves forward or reverse even in 1st and in low gear. I do think I may have not used the correct fluid, let alone enough of it. It will move a few feet and stop. It can hardly move up an incline.

Thanks

Jim

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #5  
The oil will not affect the motion (at least not until a bearing locks up from lack of lubrication. since most the bearing are ball or needle bearings, it would take a long time.
Did the tractor move properly before you changed the oil, or were you changing the oil to try to fix a bad clutch?. Your clutch pedal should have a minimum of 1" of free travel, 1.5 would be better. Is the clutch fully releasing (pedal coming all the way up with free travel)?
gear oil is for the trans, you can use trans/hydraulic (tractor transmission oil). The manual calls for motor oil, but I think that is because they don't have the variety of oils we have in China. MT-5 is yellow metal friently. the only yellow metal is in thrust washers used in the differential, but might as well keep high sulfer out of there.

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #6  
Chip has you pointed in the right direction. You have a bigger problem. As for the gear oil I use 80W90 and it takes about 5 gallons. How much did you drain? Also do you even know it has 4 drain plugs?

Chris

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #7  
I agree. If it were mechanical in the sense a gear selector "between gear" it just would not move...not a little but none at all. Since there is no hydro drive system, the obvious is somehow related to the clutch either being hung up or just not fully engaging. If it worked fine before the fluid change maybe there is something externally that is hanging up the linkage?

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #8  
Well,whatever the non red stuff you put in there[unless it was concrete or something],it shouldn't affect you not being able to move hardly.

Did you put the gears into creeper.

Would say you got the brakes locked,but my neighbors brakes when locked you can't tell,[till you start to smell them that is]

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #9  
How fast are these things in creeper, anyhow - never seen one and I'm curious. Could he be confusing creeper/slow with almost no motion?

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #10  
In low range and creeper? -paint dries faster than the tractor moves a foot:p