Steering, or lack thereof

/ Steering, or lack thereof #1  

Dadsgreenpsd

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 254, and JCB 1550B
OK, got the lift valve fixed, so on to the next problem. The steering works pretty good when cold, but after warming up, it doesn't want to respond to my input. Especially to the right. I have been doing a bit of searching on the threads, and it seems that the ram may be the culprit? Any way to diagnose that versus the steering "box" valve?

Thanks!

/ Steering, or lack thereof #2  
I don't think the steering controller (box) can be considered a valve. The problem is more likely in the cylinder. Your lift is a one way cylinder, you probably fixed it with a big O-ring and a couple of wipers. Well the steering cylinder is two-way, but also uses O-rings and seals. They're bypassing fluid (sending it back to the controller) instead of using it to extend/retract the ram. The thinner the fluid, the faster it will bypass - hence the reason it works better when cold. And the reason for favoring one side or the other, one side's apparently bypassing worse than the other.

Odds and history favor the cylinder as your problem. Pretty sure you'd need to rig up some kind of pressure gauge to completely eliminate the controller as the cause. If you're not already set up for that, it's probably cheaper just to rebuild the cylinder.

//greg//

/ Steering, or lack thereof #3  
Get the $25 dollar cylinder rebuild kit and slap that in. 99% of the time that's the problem. Sounds like you have or had a dirty hydro system and the debris is eating the seals. You should clean it out and run a flush through it or it will destroy your newly fixed lift and soon to be steering. Next on the list will be the FEL cylinders, if you have one.

Chris

/ Steering, or lack thereof #4  
One other thing make sure to tell them when ordering if you have a front mounted steering cylinder or side mounted. The front mount has the cylinder down along the front axle. The side mount runs the cylinder from the bell housing area to the left front wheel.

Chris

/ Steering, or lack thereof #6  
I have had 2 Jinma 284 steering failures. Symptoms were in relation to oil temperature. On a cold day the steering would operate longer before failing, vise-versa on a warm day. Failure on both Jinma's was priority/diversion valve. Dismantling and cleaning the valve was of no use, replacement was the only option.