DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level?

/ DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level? #1  

mpaschetto

Hello all,

My owners manual is very vague when it comes to specifying these three items.
Can any of you help me out so I can keep tabs on my hydraulic system?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

/ DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level? #2  
There's another member here who may confirm this when it notices the question. But I seem to recall that the DF354 is a common sump tractor. That is, you use universal tractor fluid - which then operates the transmission and differential AND hydraulics. But of course the front differential is technically a second fill point.

//greg//

/ DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level? #3  
Hi Mike,

Greg would be right on that. Although mine is a slightly newer model, I believe it is still same. Chip can verify for sure. It takes about 25 l. of UTF. The fill port/dip-stick is right between your legs as your sitting right by the stick shift. The main drain is right at the back, the lowest plug (Red paint) right by the tow hooks. I don't have a pic, but another on the transmission underneath.
DF35423.jpg

Just a note, on mine for draining the engine oil there are 2 drain plugs on either side of the front drive shaft. The oil pan is shaped so the drive shaft passes 'through it' (not literally of course) Unsure if yours is the same. I believe the front differential and wheels are same as most. One drain at each wheel, one on the front diff (lowest point center) and the fill/vent/level check on top of the front axle.

One thing with the common large sump is everything for the hydraulics stays nice and cool as you operate. Its makes it easy for running your BH right off your tractor hydraulics which I do with no issues. I recall yours also has the standard rear remotes as well.

Good luck Dave

/ DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level? #4  
Yep, UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) or Trans/hydraulic fluid. transmission lube is hydraulic resevoir on the DFs.

/ DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level?
Hi Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the information!

I have already changed all of the other fluids and filters on this tractor, and I've had been planning on changing the hydraulic oil this coming weekend.
In preparation of the task, I stopped into my local NAPA a few days ago and bought a (5) gallon bucket of AW32 hydraulic oil.

Is this NAPA hydraulic oil satisfactory for use in a 'shared' system like mine, or do I need the UTF (universal tractor fluid) that Greg and Chip mentioned?

Dave, thanks for the photo....I like the SS Silverado! Here are a few pics of my machine:

Attachments

• DSC06570.JPG
    DSC06570.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 670
  • DSC06571.JPG
    DSC06571.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 919
  • DSC06581.JPG
    DSC06581.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 518
   / DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level? #6  
AW 32 is the wrong stuff. You need UTF. AW32 is a hydro oil only, not satisfactory for shared sump systems like you have. Good news is UTF is cheap. My local Rural King has it for $26 per 5 gallon pale.

Chris

Attachments

• page6.jpg
    page6.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 762
   / DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level? #7  
Whats the deal with the front tires? I would not use the 4x4 until I got the proper tires on it. Wrong sized tires will tear up axles quickly.

Chris

I would not use the 4x4 until I got the proper tires on it.

Hi Chris,

I guess I'll return the AW 32 for the proper fluid....glad I asked here first!

I've also been careful not to use the 4WD until I swap the original front tires back onto the machine.

Mike

I called my local NAPA store, they will gladly exchange the AW 32 for the UTF....

If any of you guys are still following this thread, can you tell me if there is a hydraulic filter on this tractor?
If so, where is it located, and does anyone have a NAPA cross reference?

Mike

/ DF-354 : Hydraulic fluid fill point, drain point, and liquid level? #10  
I believe its in a cylinder located under your right foot area as you sit on the tractor. Its about the diameter of a beer can and maybe a foot in length. Just follow the flow from the reservoir to the pump then on to confirm. Its under the floor board. I also believe you simply remove it and soak it in kerosene then rinse it off with a good solvent like brake parts cleaner and let it dry and reinstall. Hope I am thinking of the right tractor. If not someone else will clear it up for you.

Chris