Farm Pro 2420

/ Farm Pro 2420 #1  

tpolson1

Hi new to the forum and thanks in advance for your feed back. I'am looking at buying a used ( 7 hrs) Farm Pro 2420. what should I expect to do to this tractor,since I do not know for sure what has been done to it, before starting to use this tractor. What I mean by this is the proper prep that should have been done to it at time of purchace.

/ Farm Pro 2420 #2  
I suggest you read as much as possible on the forum by yourself. I will give a deposit tomorrow on a Jinma, same as yours, with same hours on the clock. I've read nearly everything and am no expert. You should find out AND verify, the initial fluid changes, setup, brake, valve, AND clutch adjustment, make sure the seller has done this before and is credible. You stated "USED" but that probably means unsold stock....so be sure to verify the setup. Based on your post, we don't know if the seller is a highly qualified importer who really knows how to set up/service the machine for you or if the seller is only an importer with no real useable tractor and machinery setup experience. If you ask them about length of time for warranty for parts and labor.....you will learn a lot.

Last edited:
   / Farm Pro 2420 #3  
Well,you should go over it with some wrenches and tighten every single bolt on it.

Than you should change all the fluids and filters.

Check the fan belt and make sure its tight. Clean screen in front of raditiator and blow out raditiator.

Check your air filter and blow it out.

Make sure your clutch peddle has an inch or so of free travel.

Than you'll be ready to try it out!

/ Farm Pro 2420 #4  
we had a 2420 2wd from new and had nothing but problems with it from all the fuel lines to the fan itself to the electrics in the end then we sold it,it only had around 100 hours on it.we had a hard time getting parts for it as there were no dealers in our area,and when we tried calling homier for parts it would take them around 2 weeks to call back. and the tractor was used to pull a 5'finish mower only on flat land every week. so i would not buy another one and when i drove 2 1/2 houres to get a much needed part the dealer i was talking to was telling me that the farm pro has some issues at times. i forgot to add it made me a little nervse when i say the tool box looking thing with a bunch of parts in it like a head gasket valves and springs piston rings pretty much most everything to redo the engine and a bunch of seals too.

Last edited:
   / Farm Pro 2420 #5  
Sorry you had bad luck but 95% of your problems is with whom you bought it from. Homier is probably one of the worst to buy from, trust me I bought from them also. I was lucky and found a good guy to help me set it up right and my 254 has been great in 575 hours with no issues and every bit as reliable as my neighbors JD or my other tractor which is a Ford. Most issues with fuel lines is a tank that was not properly cleaned prior to assembly or a op orator using bio-diesel fuel or any mix of it.

Chris

/ Farm Pro 2420 #6  
The reason they supply all those replacement parts is not because they fail promptly and need replacing. Rather, it is because the greatest majority of these tractors are sold in China to farmers in rural areas where it may take several weeks to get parts and they can't afford that time during the growing/harvesting season, nor do they have local dealers for service work. Those parts allow virtually a complete engine rebuild (in the 2 cylinder days it did) without needing to order parts from afar. I believe I read somewhere that this supply of parts is a government mandate for tractors sold domestically (in China, that is), and they just go ahead and send them over here, too.

Can you imagine the response you'd get if you suggested to J-D, New Holland or Case that do something similar?

When these tractors are properly set up and prepped by either the dealer or the initial owner, and given even moderate maintenance, they are sturdy little workhorses that provide a great value for the money. If you get one from a good dealer like Affordable, Ranch Hand, Artrack and a couple of others, all this is done for you and you aren't too likely to have any more problems than you might with most any piece of equipment. I'd have to say that you actually get more than you pay for with most of these Chinese tractors.

/ Farm Pro 2420 #7  
We have a FarmPro 2420 and it has about 300 hrs on it. One thing you need to remember is that these are brand new tractors with a 1950's design criteria in them. Everything in there is simple and extra heavy duty but, they are poor quality parts like the 50's offered us. I've had a lot of the same problems as others have mentioned in various posts on here like alternators, batteries, fuel line hoses (with no uv protection you know) and belts too. These are nice looking heavy duty looking chinese built (you know the quality of their toys) tractors. It's not to say you can't keep it running it's just that if you want to RELY on it for more than 100 hrs a year you'd be better off considering a different model that has better quality control of the parts. You'll pay more but it's buyer beware of not just chinese products because all others can give trouble too. Just check some of the other forums on here. You'll be not so surprised to see that there are failures there as well. I'm currently fighting a problem on my Ford 1900 that is just a simple overheating problem. Last part I changed was the rad cap. There was no pressure staying in the system I noticed as it was pushing 210 one day last weekend. So far so good after one day of use.

Steve