Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem

/ Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem #1  

astr

Tractor
Kama TS254C
I was doing a bunch of chipping a while ago. After about 3 hours of operation, I could not back up the tractor. When I shifted the shuttle into reversea nd tried to release the clutch, it would stall the engine. Forward was no problem. It was as though, when I put the shuttle shift into reverse, the forward gear was also engage, locking up the shuttle box.

I took the top cover off but really couldn't see anything obvious, however, I did notice that the oil level appeared to be very low in the box, just enough to only cover the lower gears. The dipstick indicates a correct oil level. The dipstick is exactly the same as the one for the main transmission. Is it possible that I have the wrong dipstick in the shuttle box or is the oil level supposed to be that low?

Any suggestions as to the cause of my problem? I know that I'll probably have to split the tractor but I hate to do so only to find out that it wasn't necessary.

/ Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem #2  
Naw, don't split it yet. Mine was abused for 130 hours before I bought it. Lots of obvious loader work, which means the shuttle lever was working overtime too. As a result, the hole the roll pin goes through (where lever attaches) was egged out. Lots and lots of slop between F and R. Sometimes it wouldn't even engage one or the other. I drove out the roll pin and replaced it with a slightly oversized self-tapping screw. Instant improvement, and it's been working fine for the last 200 hours.

//greg//

/ Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem #3  
I agree with Greg. Your problem seems to be incomplete engagement of the F/R gear or associated shuttle linkages. As for the gear oil you can add some but it will find a level. Many of us Jinma owners have made a mod to the cover and drilled and taped it to accept a plug with a piece of wire to act as a dip stick.

Chris

/ Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem #4  
I agree with Greg. Your problem seems to be incomplete engagement of the F/R gear or associated shuttle linkages. As for the gear oil you can add some but it will find a level. Many of us Jinma owners have made a mod to the cover and drilled and taped it to accept a plug with a piece of wire to act as a dip stick. One other thing on Chinese Tractors you should check the oil level with the dipstick just resting on the threads, not threaded in. This will bring the oil level up a inch or so.

Chris

/ Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem
Thanks for the responses. I will check the shifter pivot tomorrow when I get out to the tractor.

I checked the pivot on the F-R shift lever - it is nice and tight. Withe the shift cover on, whwn I move the shift lever to either position and then remove the cover, I can verify taht the shift fork is actually moved to the maximum position in whichever direction I moved the lever.

Any other suggestions? Anyone else experience anything similar?

/ Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem #8  
I wrote a long explanation about suspecting the reverse idler gear on its shaft but deleted it because it would not explain the stalling when in reverse. (unless the gear has wedged somehow). The problem I was going to explain is a snap ring that sometimes comes out of place allowing the bearing to slide out from under the reverse idler gear. The normal symptom is when backing, if you step on the clutch and let it out, it is no longer in reverse and will not reverse again until you put the shuttle lever in F or N and then re-engage it. Have you had that symptom at all?

There is also a bearing between the input and output shafts of the transmission, but if it was this bearing seazing, you could only run in 4th gear. any other gear the two shafts are turning at different speeds.

I wouls suspect something is jammed in the mid connection housing, perhaps the reverse idler gear is seized on its stub shaft. You will probably have to drain the oil down to see as these gears are low in the mid connection housing (remove shuttle/4wd lever cover to inspect).

Thanks BlueChip. I have not been able to back it up at all since the problem occurred. This happened after a loooong session of running the chipper (i got the chipper from you a few years ago and it has been great). The F - R lever moves fine along with the shift fork taht it engages. I have all of the forward speed so the concentric shafts arn't seized. I'll drain the box and see if I can see anthing unusual in the bottom.

/ Kama TS-254 Shuttle Problem #10  
Two questions:
Have you actually taken the shuttle shift plate cover off the housing yet?
and is your shuttle lever up near the steering wheel, or down by your knee?

I haven't had this happen to my TS354C yet (same shuttle as your 254), but I've had what you describe happen to my KM454. About once a year actually. Easy fix. At the bottom end of the shuttle lever is a finger. This finger fits into a fork that moves on a rail. The rail moves a fork that actually executes the F or R gear selection. When the lever jumps out of the fork, it will move back and forth freely - but the fork is not moving on the rail. Hence you're stuck in whichever direction you were going when the lever popped out of the rail.

If that's your problem, remove the cover. I suggest you take this opportunity to make a new cover gasket too. Then reinstall the cover after repositioning the lever tip into the fork. Tighten down the cover bolts. Don't know about your 254 - but my 454 has a set screw that controls the depth of the lever in the fork. If you find one, loosen it. Push down on the lever till you feel positive contact with the fork. Move the lever slightly fore and aft to make sure you're actually inside the fork. Tighten the set screw

//greg//