jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #1  

frigman

Tractor
farm pro 2425
I have a farm pro 2425 aka jimna 254 . Due to my wifes insistance ----she made me bushhog her field in this horrible 80 degree weather----which--I,m sure caused my rpm/speedometer to just stop working. The light still works but thats all--I torqed down the ground lugs but it did nothing. Can someone give some pointers as to what to check or look for. Thanks for any help.

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #2  
There's been a few comments about the sensor being out of adjustment in the past. Or a bad sensor. It's on the block side of the engine. If you search around in here you'll find the info on it and I believe some pictures.

Steve

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #3  
Hey, have a place in Connersville, not to far from you. I have the same tractor. The sensor is on the left side of the bell housing down by the oil filter, just aft of it. Its brass. It gets is signal from the flywheel inside the bell housing.

First inspect the wires going to it since you were bush hogging they may have gotten ripped out. Next, with the tractor off loosen the lock nut and by hand screw the sensor in till it touches the flywheel. Now back it out 1 turn and lock it down. Start the tractor and see if it works. If that does not do it try 3/4 a turn out, if that does not work try 1/2 turn out. If that does not fix things you will need to do some trouble shooting.

Chris

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #5  
You don't need a tach,about 3/4 throttle,and same speed you was going when you knew,if its cutting good and not lugging motor,than thats enough,if not than go a little more throttle or slow down.

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #6  
You don't need a tach,about 3/4 throttle,and same speed you was going when you knew,if its cutting good and not lugging motor,than thats enough,if not than go a little more throttle or slow down.

While you are right, that is like saying you do not need a fuel gauge. If its running you have fuel, if not you are out.:D:D:D

Chirs

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #7  
You don't need a tach,
well, I'm sure your mules don't need one, but I have a tach in every single vehicle I own - on road/off road/agricultural. They're indispensible to owners that actually understand the concept of a torque curve. And in the case of PTO driven implements, tachs are what we rely on to operate them in the manner intended by the design engineers.

If you wish to stray outside design envelopes, that's your business. But it's pretty egocentric to think that everybody else has to work their mules the same way you do.

//greg//

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #8  
Well greg,how you been? nice to hear from you.

Only thing we own that has a tach is my kioti,got a mule with a motor,three riding lawn mowers,one push one,three chain saws,two walk behind tillers,two weed eaters,a four wheeler,one car and two trucks,welding machine,[must be something else?],but they work just fine.

If the kiotis tach broke,would get it fixed cause its under warrenty,but after using it,now know the sound/speed etc, wouldn't shut me down for a min. if it broke,and wouldn't be doing it much different if tach was working.

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #9  
Thanks for the information. I bought a agracat 2540 from my boss and the tach did not work. Used your information and it works again. The only question I have is that some things run at 500 rpm and some at 1000 rpm but at idle the tach only goes down to 800 rpm. Under a load will it run smoothly at 500 rpm? thanks.

/ jimna/farmpro rpm gage quit #10  
Thanks for the information. I bought a agracat 2540 from my boss and the tach did not work. Used your information and it works again. The only question I have is that some things run at 500 rpm and some at 1000 rpm but at idle the tach only goes down to 800 rpm. Under a load will it run smoothly at 500 rpm? thanks.

You have it all wrong. The green line on your tach, somewhere around 2300 rpm on my tractor, will give you 540 rpm at the pto if that is what you have selected. The same is true if you have 1000 set. That is what that green line is for, to give you the desired rpm on the pto. It is geared way down from the engine.

Chris