Broke my front end

/ Broke my front end #1  

YukonKing

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 L2501 FEL
So I was pulling backwards in 4x4 with the bucket about 2 feet of the ground. I needed the lift to try and get the load moving. 3-4thousand pounds of concrete Hardie board siding on pallets. It wasn't moving but I tried again.....and bang. Sound came from the left front, I seen dust come of the steel axle housing. I think it is the horizontal shaft between diff and knuckle. I want to keep running the tractor in 2 wheel drive if the shaft just broke in half, I will be dissasembling tonight to see. I will post pictures.

2007 JM 254 ZL20 FEL/L6BH 175hrs.

Attached iss a photo of me driving and a friend trying to co-ordinate extraction, we failed ended up getting the truck and winch.

Attachments

• may june 047 (Small).jpg
    may june 047 (Small).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 562
   / Broke my front end #2  
Hope the damage isnt to bad.:) Good luck!

/ Broke my front end #3  
Thank you! at least I know what not to do with my front loader, and 3000 lbs.. I wounder it you could of pulled it from the rear.?

/ Broke my front end #4  
Yep, that front drive system isn't meant to move any more than the tractor weight. The wheels need to spin/slip to relieve tension. By loading the front end in 4X4, you gave it way more taction than the drive could handle. Bummer, hope the repairs don't get too involved...

/ Broke my front end #5  
So I was pulling backwards in 4x4 with the bucket about 2 feet of the ground. I needed the lift to try and get the load moving. 3-4thousand pounds of concrete Hardie board siding on pallets. It wasn't moving but I tried again.....and bang.

That will put the test to the best of them. With the couter weight on both ends the front diff assy was asked to move / carry the whole load with little to no help from the rear.

Hopefully just a axle.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ Broke my front end
So,

Its apart, I did break just the axle, but the broken inner end is still in the carrier bearing.....gonna need a strong magnet.

I had tried pulling from the load from the rear but had just loaded more siding on and once set to the ground it wouldn't budge. So i did try from the front to get a bit of lift, it almost got it moving. The funny thing is that I had just drug it 300+ft but had stopped to load on more. Go figure. I'm going to re-assemble and run in 2wd until parts arrive.

Don't tell anyone but i think the rear end was in the air when it finally let go. A true testament to the strength of these little chinese machines. And thats with the 1250lb BH on. YES rops, and Yes seat belt.

Attachments

• 254 005 (Small).jpg
    254 005 (Small).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 378
  • 254 009 (Small).jpg
    254 009 (Small).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 254 014 (Small).jpg
    254 014 (Small).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 254 015 (Small).jpg
    254 015 (Small).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 254 016 (Small).jpg
    254 016 (Small).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 315
   / Broke my front end #7  
the rear end was in the air when it finally let go.
that's actually what snapped the axle then. There's no center differential, the front drive shaft is simply slaved off the main drive shaft by a sliding gear in the transfer case. When the rears wheels spun, the fronts didn't - and the axle paid the price. Similar breakage has occurred under much lighter loads too. One guy was clearning snow in 4wd, moving forward with all four tires spinning. Tractor moved onto dry pavement - front wheels bit while rears were still spinning - instant snapped front axle.

//greg//

/ Broke my front end
Good magnet, thankfully it was the axle and not something else. When it happened there was no wheel spin, I simply had to much loading on the front axle, as I let out the clutch (low first) I felt the rear get light and pop.

So no shock load, just to much torque and to heavy of a load. 100% my fault, but now I know.

Easy fix; steering cylinder nut, drag link nut, then six nuts to pull knuckle.

Attachments

• 254 019 (Small).jpg
    254 019 (Small).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 254 022 (Small).jpg
    254 022 (Small).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 220
   / Broke my front end #10  
So,

Don't tell anyone but i think the rear end was in the air when it finally let go. A true testament to the strength of these little chinese machines.

Ok, I want tell if you want. But I am forever putting my 254/284 to the limit loading / moving equipment with the rear tires shimming the ground (rear tires loaded).

It is a easy fix / repair....... remember it takes a while for the gear oil to settle / level in the front diff when you refill with gear oil.

Just love your honestly !!

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply