Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Tractor Fire Extinguisher Question

I'd like to mount an extinguisher on my tractor. Years ago, I had a Halon extinguisher for my Jeep which I used twice. The Halon units worked amazingly well with no powder or residue, but, I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more.

Is there a reasonably priced Halon replacement (no residue) on the market?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2006 Jinma 354LE w/YD485

Default Re: Tractor Fire Extinguisher Question

They still make 'em. Price? I don't know.

Shop online - Halon Fire Extinguishers from H3R Clean Agents

Edit: Price? *Very spendy*.
    Last edited by biggerten; 07-27-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: updated information
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2006 Jinma 354LE w/YD485, ZL-30 FEL, LW7 backhoe, Rear blade, tiller, brush hog, box blade, post hole auger, snowblower, boom pole, carry all

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Halon is great stuff pretty much perfect for computer and electronics rooms and the like. however in the governments wisedom they've forced companies to stop all manufacturing of the product, therefore the only Halon available is whats already been produced.

Supply and demand, plus the added cost of collecting and recycling the Halon means if you want it ya gotta pay

Silver Member

So no one has heard of a replacement? It sounds like Halon is going the route of R12. As many of you know, the banning of R12 created a freon black market where Russia and China imported it illegally. Now that demand has dropped, it's not an issue any more.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

While the no-mess convienience of a halon extinguisher might be attractive.. I think I would opt for a abc chemical style that had plenty of volume.. most of the halon extinguishers i see are pretty darm small.. like for kitchen fires that are confined.

if my tractor catches and diesel, gas or oil starts burning.. I want a good blanket of retardent, and plenty of it... I'd think a minimum of 3a 10 bc.. or so..

soundguy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    While the no-mess convienience of a halon extinguisher might be attractive.. I think I would opt for a abc chemical style that had plenty of volume.. most of the halon extinguishers i see are pretty darm small.. like for kitchen fires that are confined.

if my tractor catches and diesel, gas or oil starts burning.. I want a good blanket of retardent, and plenty of it... I'd think a minimum of 3a 10 bc.. or so..

soundguy
    Another consideration for fire extinguishers is the local climate and the extinguisher propellent. If one is living where the temps drop to say -30F, then serious consideration must be given to the gas that is used to drive out the retardent or powder. However for general usage in a reasonable climate, an off the shelf normal type ABC unit will certainly do the job.

J.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2006 Jinma 354LE w/YD485

Quote Originally Posted by doxford jim View Post
    If one is living where the temps drop to say -30F.......
    When it's -30F, fire is a *good* thing.
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2006 Jinma 354LE w/YD485, ZL-30 FEL, LW7 backhoe, Rear blade, tiller, brush hog, box blade, post hole auger, snowblower, boom pole, carry all

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

There is a liquid fire extingushing agent called Aqua Blue, similar to halon 1301. It is used primarily in food processing areas and in restaurants.
    Yuchai YCT dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe for sale.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    most of the halon extinguishers i see are pretty darm small.. like for kitchen fires that are confined.

soundguy

I was given a very small halon extinguisher years ago. I kept it in my Jeep for years and used it to put out three gasoline fires before it was empty. It was one of those 10 inch long units made for 4X4's.

While small, it packed a huge punch. A one or two second shot would put out a pretty big fire if pointed at the base of the flames.

I'll check out the aqua blue units.

Thanks

Silver Member

It appears they still make a Halon like extinguisher in the size and configuration I mentioned in the previous post.

Apparently the 10 inch size extinguisher I used to have, which allowed me to put out three gasoline fires, was a 1 lb extinguisher.

The new extinguishing chemical is called HalGuard (there are others as well Halotron, CleanGuard, etc.) and it's referred to as a "Clean Agent" extinguisher. A 1 lb HalGuard extinguisher is selling for just under $50 at 4x4 parts suppliers. Working in electronics I have seen cases where the powdered fire extinguisher chemical did as much or more damage than the small fire it put out.

Here are the characteristics of HalGuard (H3R).

* No thermal shock to electronics
    * No mess or damage to vehicle or surfaces
    * Liquefied gas extinguishes hard-to-reach fires
    * Does not impair operator's vision
    * EPA approved
    * United States Coast Guard approved
    * Listed and rated by Underwriters Laboratories
    * Rechargeable
    * Made in U.S.A.
    * High quality steel cylinders
    * All metal valve construction
    * Five year limited warranty