PTO won't engage on 284

/ PTO won't engage on 284 #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
Well, this beats all! I hadn't been on the Jinma for several days and went out a minute ago and was going to mow a little spot and engaged the PTO and nothing. The PTO does begin to turn but just barely, in fact you could probably stop it with gloved hands. It worked perfectly last time I used it so this is quite sudden.
I am going to assume the PTO clutch is slipping/out of adjustment. I took the left inspection plate off and didn't see anything too suspect. There are 6 lugs or fingers, what ever you want to call them. 3 of them have adjustment nuts ( first pic) and 3 have a spring and washer sitting against a nut ( second pic).
Does this sound like I'm on the right track or is there something else I need to check? I am certain the gears are OK, at least it sounds and feels like there is positive engagement when you move the lever to on and the PTO has no movement until you put the lever in "ON" position..
I need to know how to check for proper adjustment and how to adjust it if it is off.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    717.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    684.8 KB · Views: 215
   / PTO won't engage on 284 #2  
I have never seen a PTO clutch go out like that,I would check both engagement levers,the one at the rear make sure it's in 540 and the engagement lever by your right leg to be sure they are both engaged.I can't tell you how many tractors were brought to us with the rear PTO speed selector that got knocked into neutral

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
" Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ PTO won't engage on 284
I have never seen a PTO clutch go out like that,I would check both engagement levers,the one at the rear make sure it's in 540 and the engagement lever by your right leg to be sure they are both engaged.I can't tell you how many tractors were brought to us with the rear PTO speed selector that got knocked into neutral

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
" Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

Tommy, not only are you lightning fast on a reply but you were absolutely correct.......I feel like an idiot that it didn't occur to me to check that first.
This tractor is on Ebay as we speak and I've got nearly 40 "watchers" right now and bidding is closing in on the reserve price. I was about to FREAK OUT.

YOUR THE MAN!!!! BTW, when I sell this machine, rest assured that I will be giving them your contact info.
Thanks again!!

/ PTO won't engage on 284 #4  
Check the pto speed selector. Its at the rear and has 1000/neutral/540. Heard of many getting bumped into neutral.

Chris

/ PTO won't engage on 284 #6  
I got it now Willl. Guess Tommy beat me to the punch. He is a sharp cookie!

Chris