To buy Chinese or Grey Market

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #1  

zonta223

Platinum Member
Tractor
Foton FT404, International 444 with forklift, International B250, Kubota L2000DT, Truck converted to all terrain forklift and lots of other junk
Hi everyone best wishes from Australia

The time has come to replaced my well worn Kubota L2000DT tractor.

Was going to buy another grey market Kubota but the pricing on Chinese tractors is about the same but they are new.

Looking at Euroleopard (Foton I think) they come with 3 years unlimited hours warrenty, whereas the grey market ones come with 3 months.

We have 3 local dealers for the Chinese tactor none for the grey market ones (closest dealer 500 miles away).

The only thing I am worried about is quality on the Chinese one. There is an old saying if the deal sounds to good to be true...........then it probably is.

So looking for feedback on quality of Chinese tractors...Anyone own a Euroleopard??? They have increased their warranty to 3 years.....does this mean better quality???

Jima,eastwind etc tractors have no dealers in this state so not really interested in those makes.

Any feedback welcomed

Regards
Bob

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #2  
I own a Jinma which is chinese I also own a nortrac dozer same thing. I have had VERY good luck with my machines. They have been used very roughly but allways maintained, logging digging moving rocks stumps building driveways{very long} etc... They are easy to work, which as been very little. What I have had to fix was caused by abuse from me.

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #3  
I've owned my Jinma 204 for more than 5 years now. Over 600 hrs. Runs like a top. Have a loader and many of those 600 hrs. have been hard. Lost of dirt work and using it as a mini dozer. No issues at all. Use it almost every day to groom my horse arena. Best money I've ever spent. I have a local dealer but other than a lost fuel tank cap, I've had no reason to contact him. Service is easy and any repairs are within a backyard mechanics ability. Parts to easy/cheap on the internet as well. I'd do it again in an instant.

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #4  
I put in with Jinma crowd. IF you can do your own mechanical work or know a good local mechanic you can get parts mail order fairly fast. Even Big dealers have order parts sometimes. I assembled mine from a crate. I've about 1000 hrs on my JM354. It has no FEL, just plain tractor. I do have quite a few 3 pt attachments for it though. I've do just farming type work with it. I did a lot of box blading around a new home I put in. I also built a hydraulic boom to lift stuff (kinda looks like a engine picker that you would buy at Harbor Freight. The issue I found when purchasing a new tractor was the FEL or no FEL. I went with NO FEL and I've done fine with out it. Don't get me wrong, I've worked for companies where I opererated tractors that had FEL's so I know what there capable of. No matter What brand of tractor you buy (If four wheel drive)there can be front drive train failures when having a Front End Loader attachment. I'm sure ,now, they'll be the "can't live without a FEL" crowd telling you otherwise, but, these are "MY thoughts". bjr

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #5  
I have a Jinma also with a FEL and could not live without a FEL. I had a Ford 861 Powermaster prior with no FEL. These things are strong but can break when abused. Mine has about 600 hours and only had to replace the thermostat, starter, and rebuild the steering cylinder.

I think you will find Jinma outsells the other 10-1 so finding someone with the brand you are looking for will be hard. All in all the Chinese tractors are getting better every day. I think you have answered your own question with about which one to go with. With a local dealer I would not be hesitant to buy.

Chris

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #6  
I've heard good things about the newer Fotons/Eurolepards and I think you'd be happy with one. WIth a local dealer nearby, if hehas a parts inventory, you should be in great shape. Better than a grey market tractor with limited warranty and no local support, for sure.

I have a Jinma 304 and love it. The quality of the Chinese tractors is just fine, where they cut the costs is in the frills and amenities that I don't want anyway. Just solid, basic tractors that do the work and have for decades all over the world.

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #7  
My dealer has Fotons on the lot and the occasional Euroleopard (never asked why that is so :eek:). I would certainly buy one before a grey market and especially in the circumstances you have outlined --JMHO

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #8  
Greetings, When you say " Gray Market" I'm thinking they are Japanese, they would be good. Better fit and finish. I have a Foton. With the help of guys on the forum I've fixed several things the Chinese didn't think of. Still I like it used it a lot this year, wish we had it when we were in Brightview,Queensland. That is between Brisbane and Toowoomba. Would have been great to clean out the pond which was like bush and many other things. We would like to hear where you. Post what you are thinking and what you decide. Richard

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #9  
Look closely before you buy grey/gray. Some of the gray models do not meet emission criteria. Most are probably used tractors. I would suggest a google seach.

/ To buy Chinese or Grey Market #10  
What about Korean. The Kioti is probably in the same league as Kubota in quality, fit and finish.