Jinma 284 won't shift gears

/ Jinma 284 won't shift gears #1  

Champco

I am sorry if I missed my answer in a previous post, but I tried to search and couldn't find anything in the forums. I was using my Jinma 284 this evening when all of a sudden, it slowed down and quit moving although the tractor was in gear. No noise, just quit moving. When I stepped on the clutch, I can hear a little noise, but only when the clutch is depressed. Oh, buy the way it is not shuttle shift. I have owned the tractor for 2 years with no problem what so ever.......anybody have an idea? Any help is greatly appreciated.

/ Jinma 284 won't shift gears #2  
If you didn't smell clutch, your creeper gear lever may have jumped into a psuedo-neutral position somewhere between Hi and Lo.

If that doesn't do it, put the range select lever into Low, the transmission lever into 1st gear, and let out the clutch. If the tractor moves at all in the lower/lowest gearing - but not at all in higher gearing - think clutch.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284 won't shift gears #3  
   / Jinma 284 won't shift gears
Wow Greg, you nailed it! I tried the tractor in the lowest of lows and she moved, but not in the higher gears. Now......do you think that I can adjust the clutch or in your opinion am I looking at greater problems?

/ Jinma 284 won't shift gears #5  
Yeah, maybe. If there's enough friction disc left that is. You need to look into the clutch inspection window on the bellhousing (your may have one on each side). Folks with loaders hate this part, cuz the loader brackets are mounted directly on top of these windows.

Do you still have the operations and maintenance manual that came with the tractor? There's a diagram of the 2-stage clutch there, and a description of basic clutch adjustments. Once they're all satisfied, we can talk you through trying to take up a little slack in the main drive half of the clutch pack.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284 won't shift gears #6  
   / Jinma 284 won't shift gears #7  
I tried the tractor in the lowest of lows and she moved, but not in the higher gears.
Does this mean that it moves in Low Range 1st gear, but not in Low Range 2nd or 3rd gears?
RonJ