4WD Repair Jinma 284

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284 #21  
Rob,

Thanks for that, it's pretty much how I had worked it out. Slight variation on method but much welcomed advice. No, I don't have a manual. I didn't get much at all with my tractor. It has been a case of learning as I go along and trial and error. Have learned a lot from these type of websites.

Thanks

Johnny

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284
Good deal then Johnny,
You should contact Tommy at Affordable Tractor or Ronald at RanchHand Supply.
They have some manuals in stock they could send you. At least you'd have a better idea of some assemblies and a parts list. Although the manuals may not be the greatest, they do help. But that's also why I take a lot of photos when I do stuff like this. It helps when I forgot how something goes together.:)

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284 #23  
Rob,

Thanks for that. I managed to get it back on today. Went quite well, only lost one ball bearing. Found it on the ground/grass. Thank goodness for strong magnets.

Johnny

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284 #24  
Realy nice fix. I could have easily done what you did and probably better, all I'd need to accomplish is
a milling machine and a clue of how to use it
an engineering degree from MIT and 25 years of experience
an imagination to figure the repair approach
the patience necessary to learn from and not repeat every mistake I've ever made

thank you for taking the time to document

supper helpfull

I've not seen the ballbeering coupler before, rather a coupler sleeve

Joel

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284 #26  
Joel, you are too kind.
Me, I'm just dumb enough not to know any better.:)

Haha, yea right Rob. How's the weather been? Things drying out any? I'm anxious to hear how the Kama's doing since the rebuild.

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284 #27  
Rob,
I ran into the same problem with a Yanmar FX28D. In my case the CV joint balls engage the very tip of the output shaft on the transfer case - a very poor design IMO. I was able to fix mine - the first time - by grinding about 1/4" off the worn shaft and shifting everyting backward a little. That lasted for about a year and it did it again.

I had thought of replacing the balls with dowels though I haven't gotten around to it yet. Been using it in 2wd only since the last blowup.

I was also concerned about the "next weakest link" and I'd like to get your thoughts on this: Instead of replacing the balls with something hard that will never wear out, how about replacing the balls with a softer dowel, like the shank of a grade 5 or 8 bolt of the correct diameter? If anything is going to wear, let it be the bolt or dowel which is much easier to replace than the fluted shaft or the coupler on the drive shaft.

BTW, my fluted shaft in the transfer case is about a foot long and doesn't just tap out, you have to split the tractor to get it out.

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284 #28  
Wow, very impressive stuff. Makes a novice ownwe rlike myself cringe. Is the 4 wd setup similar on the Jinma 224? Would it be prudent to replace the balls with dowels as a precaution?

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284 #29  
Rob, great work. I just have to ask, do you think that beefing up that joint may make something else break in an abusive situation? I know we don't abuse our tractors intensionally, but it happens at times. My point is, do you think replacing these items would be easier than what might break in another place? Kind of like a shear pin situation?

/ 4WD Repair Jinma 284
Thanks guys,
Regarding the question if the Jinma 224 is set up the same way, my answer is that I presume so. But a dealer could tell you for certain.
As far as the "next weakest link", I really don't know if replacing the balls with dowels necessarily makes that connection stronger than the next link? It may very well still be the weakest link? ... it's just stronger (better) than before. IMHO, the way that ball (or dowel) connection is made, it will remain the weaker link, but of course I am not certain about it. But again, that is my feeling and that's also why I decided to use the dowels without worrying about it. I guess you could say I made what is obviously a "really weak link" (and an obvious problem) into a much better connection than stock. So far, there are not any signs of "the next weakest link" rearing its ugly head.