need to rewire the KAMA TS254C

/ need to rewire the KAMA TS254C
I have the harness(s) for that tractor in stock, but I would'nt suggest changing it unless your wires have been damaged.

I'm afraid to ask, but can you P.M. the price.

/ need to rewire the KAMA TS254C #12  
I can only muster a high speed clicking in the solenoid and she won't engage the starter. The battery has a steady 13.3 volts in it
You may have reconnected something in a way that continued to discharge the battery after the keyswitch was shut off - or - the charging voltage from your alternator isn't getting all the way back to the battery.

I say this, because detecting voltage at the battery posts isn't the same thing has having sufficient stored amperage to turn the flywheel. Remove the battery connections completely, and try to start it with a second battery of sufficient size. Make sure to use the compression release, cuz many batteries in gasoline vehicles don't have enough crankin' amps to turn over a cold diesel.

Once (if) you get it running, have the tractor battery recharged and load tested. If the charge is low, it's time to check for that short that drained it. Later - if you want - we can also discuss how to bypass the tractor wiring to get charging voltage more directly to your battery.

//greg//

You may have reconnected something in a way that continued to discharge the battery after the keyswitch was shut off - or - the charging voltage from your alternator isn't getting all the way back to the battery.

I say this, because detecting voltage at the battery posts isn't the same thing has having sufficient stored amperage to turn the flywheel. Remove the battery connections completely, and try to start it with a second battery of sufficient size. Make sure to use the compression release, cuz many batteries in gasoline vehicles don't have enough crankin' amps to turn over a cold diesel.

Once (if) you get it running, have the tractor battery recharged and load tested. If the charge is low, it's time to check for that short that drained it. Later - if you want - we can also discuss how to bypass the tractor wiring to get charging voltage more directly to your battery.

//greg//

Greg,
I tried the truck battery (1,000 CCA) and same result. Many fast, loud clicks from solenoid. Would the fact that when I try to use glow plugs they blow 30A fuse have any bearing on this? Obviously, the fuse is intact when I try to start tractor.

When I put the key switch in accessory position, the rear lamp, horn and auxiliary headlights are bright and loud.

I'd appreciate the trick to getting a charge from the alternator to the battery, at this time, assuming one day I'll get going again.
Jeff

/ need to rewire the KAMA TS254C #14  
Your problems could be a bad key switch. Get the volt meter out and measure the voltage at the small wire going to the starter from the key switch. My guess is you have a lot of resistance dropping the voltage.

Chris

/ need to rewire the KAMA TS254C #15  
Your narrative strongly suggests you put more than one thing back together wrong. A short in the glow plug circuit is blowing the 30A system fuse. I'd disconnect that circuit altogether until you get to the bottom of the starter problem. Same with the accessories. Pull that fuse until you get the starter cranking again.

Did you load test the tractor battery? We have to know whether or not the battery is getting and/or accepting a charge.

As far as the jump, you should isolate the tractor battery. That means removing the starter end of the battery cable temporarily. Assuming you're using jumper cables, put the hot lead on the starter battery post where you just removed the OE battery cable. Clamp the jumper ground lead to one of the bolts that holds the starter to the bellhousing. Try first with the keyswitch. If that doesn't work, go to the screwdriver method.

The results of these things will tell us which direction to go next.

//greg//

Tried the battery directly to the starter and had same result from key and jumping with screwdriver,with the only fuse being the 30A main.

/ need to rewire the KAMA TS254C #17  
Tried the battery directly to the starter and had same result from key and jumping with screwdriver,with the only fuse being the 30A main.
That's progress. There's still a problem to deal with relative to the glow plugs and lights/horn. Maybe the charging too, but it's too early to tell just yet. Still a good idea to get the tractor battery load tested though.

The fact what you're considering a known good battery of sufficient size results in the same clicking noise - even using the screwdriver method - suggests a bad solenoid. I'd like you to try the screwdriver methode one more time though, if possible. But this time make sure the tractor wiring is disconnected from the solenoid. You're trying to start with nothing more than the truck battery, the jumper cables, and the screwdriver

//greg//

Be back in a few minutes - off to try w/out wires from tractor.

That's progress. There's still a problem to deal with relative to the glow plugs and lights/horn. Maybe the charging too, but it's too early to tell just yet. Still a good idea to get the tractor battery load tested though.

The fact what you're considering a known good battery of sufficient size results in the same clicking noise - even using the screwdriver method - suggests a bad solenoid. I'd like you to try the screwdriver methode one more time though, if possible. But this time make sure the tractor wiring is disconnected from the solenoid. You're trying to start with nothing more than the truck battery, the jumper cables, and the screwdriver

//greg//

OK, tried with only the battery hooked up jumping from battery terminal on solenoid to the little-bitty screw on the solenoid with screwdriver...click, click, click....

/ need to rewire the KAMA TS254C #20  
Lakespirit-
Looks like Greg is off line at the moment. . . remember people having problems with dirty solnoids In fact at about the 500 hr mark I believe Jimna requires that you clean and relub the solnoid/starter. Check 3RR's posts he had taken one apart (pictures) and clean and lubbed it with good quality grease and it was working great after that! Good luck -Ed