Oil & Fuel fuel gauge

/ fuel gauge #1  

robert421960

Silver Member
Tractor
2014 Kubota L3301
hey my fuel gauge was working fine till one day it just stoped and shot past full and stayed there
its a farm pro 2425 about 5 yrs old
we checked for power with a test light and it has power on one side but when switching light to check ground the light was very dim
i know nothing abour fuel gauges so i need help
Thanks
Robert

/ fuel gauge #2  
If I remember, there are two ground wires to check. Sounds like you found the gauge supply wire. The other one connects to the sending unit, varying the value of ground that 12v through the gauge seew. The sending unit itself acts as a variable resistance to ground (that's what makes the gauge move). Then the sending unit itself has it's own ground wire. That's actually the real ground. Anyway, I think one of those two ground wires may be either damaged or loose.

If not, your sending unit might be shot.

//greg//

/ fuel gauge #3  
Also check to just make sure the float in the tank is not stuck.

Chris

/ fuel gauge
the sender is in the tank?
how do i figure out which it is?

/ fuel gauge #6  
the sender is in the tank?
how do i figure out which it is?
Inside the tank, yes. To narrow it down, check/tighten/repair/replace the wires I described. Sometimes they get pinched, the insulation rubs off, the circuit shorts. Given that your gauge is pegged, that would be my first guess.

Your gauge does return to zero when you shut off the keyswitch, right?

//greg//

/ fuel gauge
Inside the tank, yes. To narrow it down, check/tighten/repair/replace the wires I described. Sometimes they get pinched, the insulation rubs off, the circuit shorts. Given that your gauge is pegged, that would be my first guess.

Your gauge does return to zero when you shut off the keyswitch, right?

//greg//

Greg you asked this sometime ago and i guess i missed it sorry
no my gague stays pegged always
i have not fooled with it anymore but i hate not having it

/ fuel gauge #8  
With the key in the OFF position, no voltage is supplied to the gauges. They should all read zero or equivalent. If yours stays pegged with the keyswitch off, the gauge is shot. But if the other gauges work with the keyswitch OFF, the problem's in the switch.

If that doesn't happen, there's a good chance that something in the fuel sender circuit fried the gauge. Which means there's a further chance that you could damage a replacement gauge as well. Get a new gauge, then come back here for instructions before actually connecting it to the tractor's electrical system.

//greg//

/ fuel gauge
i posted in another thread that my key switch is also fried so i guess the problems are piling up
and my oil sending unit isnt working lol