3-Point Hitch help with my 3 point lift

/ help with my 3 point lift #1  

alana1

Tractor
1992 Rhino 204
1992 Rhino 204
Seems like the 3 point lift is not right. I have had the tractor for a couple weeks and trying to figure out the 3 point lift. It kinda works for 2 mins after starting and then nothing. Not up or down, i tried the adjustment knob "i think" on the right side of the seat. You can hear the motor sag when lifting it, but its already at its highest point and in about 2 mins everything goes away. i changed hydrolic oil in tractor a few days ago and it didnt help. Everything else is perfect. Please any advice helps...... Owners manual is kinda grey around the troubleshooting.
Thanks

/ help with my 3 point lift #3  
i tried the adjustment knob "i think" on the right side of the seat.
That might be your problem. If you turned what I think you turned, that's a diversion valve. It diverts hydraulic fluid from the rear lift to elsewhere, usually to a remote line. Try turning it back the other direction.

//greg//

/ help with my 3 point lift #4  
What Greg said, turn it fully counter clockwise. Your description of "you can hear the motor sag when lifting it" sounds like the fluid is trying to be sent somewhere other than the 3PH cylinder(got any hydrolic fittings on the rear of the tractor?) and can't flow, so the pressure builds till the safety relief in the 3PH opens and allows fluid back into the resovoir. This loads the engine and quickly heats up the fluid...

/ help with my 3 point lift #5  
Like the others said it could be you are sending the fluid to a remote or a bad seal. First thing I would do is with the tractor off turn the knob all the way in fully closed then open 1.5 turns. Start the tractor and give it a try.

Also you said you you changed the fluid. What did you use? It may be too thin since its working when you start and cold(thick), then thinning out over time due to heat.

Chris

/ help with my 3 point lift #6  
Have you changed the hydraulic filter? I had a lot of issues with my 3 point not lifting. All problems were do to a restricted filter (dirt). Change the filter. If you still have a problem you may want to throw a pressure gauge at it. If the pressure is good then it's likely the filter. There are a lot of interesting threads on filter options. As far as how many micron and such. I am running a 150 micron before the pump and that is it. I think they came with a 20 micron. Fun Fun Fun.

Do you have a loader? Does it work?

/ help with my 3 point lift
Alright thanks, i will try a few things you guys suggested and see if it works. I got the manuals for the tractor in the mail yesterday, those combined with your suggestions should help me alot. The manuals are a little grey in some areas but not to shaby.
Thanks
No remote lines going elsewhere only a loader in the front and 3 point on rear. I used the John Deere hydrolic fluid for the smaller tractors i think it is a 40wt. I will check the bottle later. The hydrolic oil that came out was actually really good still but i changed it anyway.

/ help with my 3 point lift #8  
It's easier to trust the active members of this site before studying the manuals.

/ help with my 3 point lift
Sorry no disrespect meant. I think "we" fixed the problem, the adjusting valve on the front of the hydrolic package just needed some fine tuning like some of you guys mentioned. It works well up and down and now i just need to put those little "stops" in there appropriate places for fully up or down. Just a simple adjustment is all it was and hopefully i didnt ruin to much of the internals earlier when i was cranking on it. It was in the fully up position and i couldnt get it to go down and kept messing with it. As soon as i opened the adjusting valve a little more i was able to move it up and down.
Thanks everyone for your help

/ help with my 3 point lift #10  
Glad you got it and it was a simple fix.

Chris