Penetrating Oils

/ Penetrating Oils #1  

Grommit

I know this is not Chinese tractor specific but you guys helped me with a problem I had last year with my Siromer and I wanted to share this with you as I have posted nothing since. The following was recently posted on a motorcycle forum I look in on and compares penetrating oils on identical test pieces - I think it was taken from a US magazine that claims the tests were based on "lab" type material conditions.

Anyway, I have just changed all 48 flails on my flail mower in the space of about 1 hour, a job that last time took closer to 3, using WD40. I mixed the acetone and ATF 50/50, mixed it into a mayo type liquid and painted it on to the bolts with an old paint brush, few hours to let it sink in and the bolts come off no problem :D

It really does work and is a great home brew farm fix to an old problem. Give it a go - hopefully you can get Acetone, it's sold in supermarkets here in France:thumbsup:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.

/ Penetrating Oils
Sorry just seen its already been posted :ashamed:

But at least I can confirm it does work:eek:

/ Penetrating Oils #4  
Grommit, I'll give it a try. Never heard of it before. Thanks for posting it.

/ Penetrating Oils #5  
As discussed in a previous thread on the ATF/Acetone solvent...the biggest problem is containing it..you really need a sealed metal can or glass jar...I use a pump type oil can and fill it from a jar as the acetone evaporates from the oiler...

/ Penetrating Oils #6  
The mix melted my first container. I put mine in a new oil can. It ate all the seals out. It still pumps, but will leak all over when I use it. I'll put up with it, it works so good. I still have PB Blaster on hand for the easy things.

/ Penetrating Oils #7  
Acetone is a tough cookie to contain. I've seen metal containers that have never been opened become lighter and lighter until they were enpty.

/ Penetrating Oils #8  
thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Anyone know where can I buy acetone in the states?

/ Penetrating Oils #9  
thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Anyone know where can I buy acetone in the states?

Home Depot & NAPA are two places I know of... and almost any auto body supply house.