Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question

/ Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question #1  

CSH

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425
Lately I've been having problems with grinding when engaging the PTO, so I figured it was past time to take a look inside the bell housing and adjust the PTO clutch. This tractor has 530 hours on it. I first checked the clearance between the release bearing and fingers, and it was pretty wide (about 3/8"), so I had quite a bit more than the 1" spec for free play. The fingers do show some wear, but I don't think they've worn 1/4" (I think the adjustment was too wide when it was new, but I never looked so I can't say). Anyway, if I use the linkage to adjust the clearance between the release bearing and fingers to 1/8" (for 1" of free travel in the pedal), the pedal is quite a bit further down and I won't have enough travel to disengage the PTO clutch because the safety switch is at the end of it's adjustment range. Should I use the main clutch adjustment to set the free travel between the fingers and the release bearing? If I do it this way should I disconnect the pedal linkage so the release bearing is all the way back? The PTO adjustment seems to be pretty straightforward, but I'm more apprehensive about touching the main clutch. Any guidance or insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question #2  
Whoa! "Free travel" refers to the movement of the clutch pedal before it meets resistance, nothing beyond that. You need to read the manual for the proper clutch adjustment procedure and clearances, or look up one of the several threads on clutch adjustment procedures on this forum or one of the other forums. If I recall, the proper clearance for the PTO finger to throwout bearing is something pretty close to 3/8" , maybe 8.5 or 9 mm. Yours may not be that far off after all.

Rich

/ Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question
The proper clearance according to threads I've seen is 1/8". 3/8" between the fingers and release bearing gives a lot more than 1" of free play.

/ Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question #4  
make sure the roll pin in the control arm is not bent or shearing.

/ Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question #5  
Rich's recall failed him this time. The Jinma manual clearly specifies the gap to be 2.5mm (+/- 0.5mm). That's just a hair to either side of 1/10 of an inch, so you're pretty close at 1/8". But if you don't have the owner's manuals, I strongly recommend purchasing a set (of 4). Basic clutch adjustment procedures and specs are in the tractor O & M volume.

//greg//

I strongly recommend purchasing a set (of 4). Basic clutch adjustment procedures and specs are in the tractor O & M volume.//greg//

Greg, I have manuals, and the instructions are vague at best. Here's an excerpt from the procedure in Chapter 4, section 1, subsection 1, titled Adjustment of dual stage clutch:

Dual stage clutch should be adjusted on a fixture. The adjusting steps are as follows: Adjust the length of the adjusting bolt (11) to make the distance between between the 3 release levers (19) and the end faces of the PTO clutch pressure plate (4) is 96. 8mm, and the distance difference between 3 release levers and PTO clutch pressure plate is no more than 0.1mm; after adjustment tighten it with nut M10 x 1.

This is exactly as it is written. The diagram that is included shows adjusting bolt (11) as the clutch pedal stop bolt. Turning it in any direction will have no impact on the release levers, not to mention I have no idea how to measure the "96 .8mm" (and yes, it has 2 blank spaces between the 6 and the dot) between the fingers and PTO pressure plate with the clutch pack installed.

Last edited:
   / Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question #7  
Yeah, I said they were basic. I didn't go as far as to say they were clear. The manual language is quite often referred to as "Chinglish". The 96.8mm figure represents stack height, and you're right. That's a measurement typically obtained with the clutchpack on the bench. Or at least with the tractor split. Without coming up with some Rube Goldgerg measuring device, it's not feasible to obtain that adjustment through the inspection windows.

Other than that, let's go back to your opening question(s). The safety switch is adjustable in its bracket. Whenever you adjust the external linkage, you readjust the switch to compensate. The PTO grinding noise is cuz the pedal is striking the stop bolt before the end of full travel. Loosen the jam nut on the stop bolt, screw the stop bolt in far enough so the grinding stops. Tighten the jam nut. When you get to the point where there's no more stop bolt adjustment, it's time to tweak on the clutchpack itself.

//greg//

The safety switch is adjustable in its bracket. Whenever you adjust the external linkage, you readjust the switch to compensate. The PTO grinding noise is cuz the pedal is striking the stop bolt before the end of full travel. Loosen the jam nut on the stop bolt, screw the stop bolt in far enough so the grinding stops. Tighten the jam nut. When you get to the point where there's no more stop bolt adjustment, it's time to tweak on the clutchpack itself.//greg//

And this is pretty much where I am right now. I can screw the stop bolt and safety switch in further to get additional pedal travel (there are still threads showing on both), but the back of the safety switch is contacting the bell housing and won't go further back unless I move it (laterally) away from the tractor, and if I do that the pedal will no longer make contact with the switch. Which takes me back to the original question, will I have to work with the main clutch adjustment bolts to move the release fingers closer to the throwout bearing ?

/ Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question #9  
Remember you only have so much room in each cavity to play with, this is why the stack hight is so important.

I made up this diagram to give a visual clue what going on..

any fault with it let me know and I will correct it.. or if its totally out of the ball park I will delete it.:laughing:

the roll pin I would say is the important part in that if it moves or shears you will
not achieve full throw.

clutch2-1.jpg

As you can see in the diagram when the clutch disk wears the
distance between the fingers and release bearing should decrees to a point that they touch when the disk wears out.
and If it increases the only way it can happen is a new disk installed or the roll pin sheared. IMO.

Last edited:
   / Jinma 254 clutch adjustment question #10  
but the back of the safety switch is contacting the bell housing and won't go further back unless I move it (laterally) away from the tractor, and if I do that the pedal will no longer make contact with the switch.
You can make the switch shorter by dremeling off some of the threaded part and then the plastic pushrod. On mine there was no way that switch was ever going to be positioned properly without being pinched against the bell housing so for the longest time I did not have a safety switch -- not recommended but I would not let it give me a clutch adjustment problem:eek: