Antifreeze leak

/ Antifreeze leak #1  

markh1

Bronze Member
Tractor
2003 Jinma 284LE Y385T
I was using my tractor the other day and had it parked and running and antifreeze was leaking out. It was not leaking around the hoses or thermostat. I think it's the water pump but didn't know when that went out if it would leak like that.

Mark H

/ Antifreeze leak #2  
A little more info would be helpful, like year and model of the tractor, and brand and model of the engine. If this info was in your signature it wouldn't be necessary to ask for it constantly....:D

/ Antifreeze leak
My tractor is a 2003 Jinma 284LE. That is in my info. The engine I'm not sure about.
Mark H

/ Antifreeze leak #4  
Casting sand from the engine block is the primary cause of premature coolant pump seal failure. No doubt it's been awhile since the cooling system had a good flush.
This is one of the reasons that heavy equipment have coolant filters. Sand is constantly being released from the block, and the filters keep the circulation of it to an absolute minimum. So when you're talking about $1,200 for a coolant pump, lost downtime, and extra mechanic's time - $25.00 doesn't seem like much money at all. I have one on my little dozer and it works great.

To answer your question; Yes. When a seal goes out sometimes it can look like a faucet turned on... and it will be coming from behind the pulley.

/ Antifreeze leak
Thanks Bob. I did do a flush of the cooling system last fall. Got a lot of crap out of it.

Mark H

/ Antifreeze leak #6  
Thanks Bob. I did do a flush of the cooling system last fall. Got a lot of crap out of it.
Mark H
Well, I guess you didn't quite get it all :laughing:. The damage caused by contaminants is cumulative. :eek:

/ Antifreeze leak #7  
My tractor is a 2003 Jinma 284LE. That is in my info. The engine I'm not sure about.
Mark H
the engine is a YangDong Y385. 2003 should have been your first cooling system flush, along with all the other tractor systems. Then again every 1-3 years, depending upon usage and conditions. I believe the fact that you let it go till last year may be at the root of your problem. Not to worry though. Replace the pump, member dealers can help you with that. Then flush again, and hopefully a little more faithfully after that

//greg//

/ Antifreeze leak #8  
I didn't know the stuff running around in the coolant could be bad. My 224 bought in 2005 (350 hours) hasnt had its coolant changed since I got it....so how often should this be done to ensure proper maintenance? Should I flush more than once right now?

/ Antifreeze leak #9  
...so how often should this be done to ensure proper maintenance? Should I flush more than once right now?
Flush it now, as many times as it takes to get rid of the rust. After that, follow the guidelines specific to the coolant (usually stated right on the container). Some of the cheap stuff is only good for a year or two. Premium stuff can be good for five years or more. If you have a wet-sleeved engine, you should use a SCA-type coolant. That said, I know of several dry-sleeve (diesel) owners that use it anyway.

//greg//

/ Antifreeze leak #10  
About every 24 months a total replacement of the green type or adding of more protecting chemical is recommend per JD on the BH's 60 HP 4 cylinder diesel or every 500 hours. Usage and time are factors.

Soft water with the chemicals added is recommended in not freezing zones per JD. As a kid we ran plan water all summer and checked it when we filled up with gas.