nortrak 254 hydraulic filter

/ nortrak 254 hydraulic filter #1  

ditech

Tractor
2008 nortrak 254
Hi guys, new to TBN posting but been reading awhile. I have a nortrak 254 that I have modified the hydraulic system to eliminate the metric ORFS fittings and hydraulic hoses and generally clean up the hydraulic plumbing. I have also added a return line filter (10 micron donaldson) My question is, when the tractor is running and you are not using any hydraulics, how much hydraulic flow is returning through the return circuit. It seems to me that most of the flow would be returning to the sump through the TPH control valve and bypassing a return line filter. I think the diverter valve takes part of the flow for the steering and that would all return through the filter. Just trying to get a feel for how effective the added on filter should be. Any thoughts would be appreciated:confused:

/ nortrak 254 hydraulic filter #2  
Where did you put the return filter ? If you put it at the pump then all the hydraulics are being filtered? The sysyem makes a loop,from the pump to the diverter valve,to the 3-point then back,the return line comes from the sump,you also have one on the steering machine that connects to the return then back to the pump,then it starts over.When you are not using the hydraulics the fluid is still moving thru the system

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ nortrak 254 hydraulic filter #3  
I did the same thing and put the filter between the return hard line and the sump. The way I look at it at 5 gallons per minute flow give or take and the sump being relatively small its all getting filtered sooner or later.

Chris

/ nortrak 254 hydraulic filter
Where did you put the return filter ? If you put it at the pump then all the hydraulics are being filtered? The sysyem makes a loop,from the pump to the diverter valve,to the 3-point then back,the return line comes from the sump,you also have one on the steering machine that connects to the return then back to the pump,then it starts over.When you are not using the hydraulics the fluid is still moving thru the system

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

Tommy,
I installed the filter right before the sump return port, so all fluid that used to enter the sump through the metal return tube is now going through the filter just before it enters the sump. All hydraulic components are in series before the filter except for the TPH control valve. Just for clarification I installed a return filter, not a suction filter.
Thanks, Di-

I did the same thing and put the filter between the return hard line and the sump. The way I look at it at 5 gallons per minute flow give or take and the sump being relatively small its all getting filtered sooner or later.

Chris

Chris,
Sounds like your filter modification is very similar to what I did. I agree, part of the fluid is passing through the filter any time the tractor is running. I am probably worrying about a non-issue, just want to keep my tractor in the best condition possible. I did install a gauge just before the filter and am seeing about 10 psi with the oil at operating temp. How often do you service/change your filter. I planned on doing it at each 100 hr service.
Thanks, Di-

/ nortrak 254 hydraulic filter #6  
Chris,
Sounds like your filter modification is very similar to what I did. I agree, part of the fluid is passing through the filter any time the tractor is running. I am probably worrying about a non-issue, just want to keep my tractor in the best condition possible. I did install a gauge just before the filter and am seeing about 10 psi with the oil at operating temp. How often do you service/change your filter. I planned on doing it at each 100 hr service.
Thanks, Di-

I did my mod just like yours. I changed the filter at 50 hours then I do it at every 250 hours. I also do the fuel filter and air filter at the same time.

Chris

/ nortrak 254 hydraulic filter #7  
I have a nortrak 254 that I have modified the hydraulic system to eliminate the metric ORFS fittings and hydraulic hoses and generally clean up the hydraulic plumbing. I have also added a return line filter (10 micron donaldson)

My question is, when the tractor is running and you are not using any hydraulics, how much hydraulic flow is returning through the return circuit. It seems to me that most of the flow would be returning to the sump through the TPH control valve and bypassing a return line filter. I think the diverter valve takes part of the flow for the steering and that would all return through the filter. Just trying to get a feel for how effective the added on filter should be. Any thoughts would be appreciated:confused:

The diverter valve is actually a Priority Diverter Valve. It diverts fluid to the steering valve and the 3 point lift valve. The Priority part of the valve helps to ensure that the steering valve always has fluid/flow to steering. With this type of set up ........ oil is being returned to the sump at two different locations. Two in's & one out. Systems I have seen set up like this always have a suction filter or suction strainer to filter all the oil.

How sensitive the priority valve would be to the back pressure generated from a return filter being on one of the fluid returns ....... I don't know ?? .

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ nortrak 254 hydraulic filter #8  
Chris,
Thanks, Di-
I have a gauge in my return line too, 3 to 6 psi drop. When it gets to 10 psi it is time to change the filter.

I have a gauge in my return line too, 3 to 6 psi drop. When it gets to 10 psi it is time to change the filter.

I changed my hydraulic filter yesterday just to see what would happen. The back pressure in the return circuit dropped to near zero (just off the peg) on the gauge. I had about 30 hours on the first filter. The gauge was installed about 5 hours after I had added the filter in the system. The gauge had always shown about 10 psi back pressure. There must have been an initial "cleaning" of the fluid after the installation of the filter but before the gauge was added. It will be interesting to see how long the back pressure stays near zero. I put about 1.5 hours on the tractor today moving dirt with the FEL, so far the back pressure is still low.
I changed the hydraulic fluid at the 100 hr service and it appeared very clean with no signs of water or other contamination. Shortly after the service is when I modified the system, I changed numerous hoses to eliminate the ORFS fittings with the very small hole through them (.26") especially the pump discharge. Also modified the FEL control valve pressure relief valve (original "non adjustable" relief was set at 1300 psi and now it relieves at 2000 psi) I added a three spool aux control valve to control the top and tilt plus one additional function. I assembled all of my own hoses and made the conversion fittings. I kept every thing clean and blew out the new hoses before installing them. I guess anytime the system is open, there is a chance of getting some debris in (or dislodging existing debris) the system.