NT204C and my ignorance

/ NT204C and my ignorance #1  

mstan99999

My tractor spends most of it's life on my hunting property and doesn't get used much. But when it's needed, it is a real work horse. I have had it for 6+ years and it only has 70 hours on it. I feel bad because I haven't done much for maintenance. So,I brought it is home with all of my tools and toys and I want to make it right. I don't have a manual for him, so I'm going to need some help. Filters are easy enough. There are several recent threads about that. But, how about the oil? What type and how much? Also, I busted a hydrolic hose a while back and lost some fluid. I replaced the hose, but need some fluid. What type should I use and is there a filter I need for this?
What else should I do while he's home and convenient?
Thanks for all the help!!!
Matt

/ NT204C and my ignorance #2  
You NEED the manuals. Yes, the Chinglish is a bit difficult to wade through at times, but it's better than nothing - and is much better than waiting for someone else to give you what may or may not be accurate advice.

Get the manuals. Expect a set of four; operations & maintenance for tractor, operations & maintenance for engine, parts for tractor, parts for engine. Having said that, Northern may have consolidated them - I don't know.

While you wait for them to arrive in the mail, the engine takes 15W40 oil, I like Shell Rotella T. Depending upon which engine you have, capacity could be anywhere between 3.5 liters and 6 liters. Another good reason to have the manuals. Most folks use AW32 hydraulic fluid in the hydraulics. Caution, machine oil comes in AW32 also. But it foams. So take care to read the label before you buy. And this is a good opportunity to flush BOTH the engine and the hydraulic system before adding fresh fluid (assuming you didn't do it at the recommended 50 hour mark).

As far as what other maintenance to perform, it depends upon whether or not you performed the forum-recommended 50 hour maintenance. If it was never done, I recommend combining the 50 hour (forum) and 100 hour (manufacturer) maintenance lists. Manufacturer-recommended maintenance schedules are found in the manuals.

//greg//

/ NT204C and my ignorance #3  
I would change the engine oil with 15W40. The injector pump oil with 30W or whatever floats your boat. Some use 15W30 some use compressor oil. There is no right or wrong as long as you service it. I would change the hydro oil out with some AW32. Change the front axle and gear boxes with 80W90 oil.

Once you get all that done along with new filters clean it up and go over it with a grease gun. While you are dirty get out some wrenches and check every nut and bolt you can find.

Chris

/ NT204C and my ignorance #5  
I just re read my post and I made a mistake. I said some guys use 15W30 in the injector pump. That was a mistake. It should have read 15W40. Same oil as in the engine itself.

Chris

/ NT204C and my ignorance #6  
Given the age of the tractor and the need to have it work properly infrequently, I'd drain and flush the entire cooling system and replace the battery.

/ NT204C and my ignorance
Thanks Diamond. I got ya.
Thanks Smalljobs. Those are both in the works along with replacing the hoses.

/ NT204C and my ignorance #8  
Diamond pilot, you were talking about the different oil weights. You mentioned the injector pump oil. Where do you put oil in the injector pump? I have been having fuel delivery problems for about three weeks now. The tractor starts and idols but when I put it under a load it dies. The problem starts with a loss of power, the engine stumbles and finally cuts off. I have replaced the fuel filter. When the tractor dies I have to bleed the air from the lines from the fuel filter to the injectors. What do I do? I need the tractor running again. Leo

/ NT204C and my ignorance #9  
Your fuel delivery issues could be related to a dry pump. The fill/vent is the mushroom looking thing at the top. There should be a hex head just beneath the cap with which you can turn it off. If there's no dipstick attached, remove a drain plug on the side of the housing. Add 15W40 engine oil or ISO100 compressor oil until it starts to run out the side, then button it back up

//greg//

/ NT204C and my ignorance #10  
I will try it tomorrow. I hope it works. I looked at the manuals supplied at purchase they were no help. I have a users manual and two parts manuals. Are there any repair manuals for these tractors? Like a Chilton's repair manual. I also noticed that many in this group have three cylinder tractors, mine is a twin cylinder. I purchased it in Greensburo, North Carolina at a Northern Tractor Supply. The store is closed now and when I call Northern they refer me to some place in the midwest. Thank you for the help. leo