TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR #11  
The "TS" on the nose may only coincidentally suggest TaiShan. It's actually the occidental corporate logo of Shandong Tractor Works. Both my KM454 and my TS354C were made by that outfit, but in 2004 and 2006 respectively. So the logo and the ROPS strongly suggest it's not a grey market Japanese/Vietnamese tractor. The Shandong corporate logo makes a pretty strong case that it's Chinese, and a federal import at that.

But I think the "324" decal may be a red herring, probably affixed by some previous owner. Note first that they don't appear as weathered as the rest of the finish. Note also the asymmetrical placement; rearward on the left of the cowl, forward on the right. I won't pretend to have seen every tractor ever made, but I can say that it's pretty unusual to have them staggered like that.

This is reinforced by the presence of a 2 cylinder engine. I've not personally encountered any Asian tractor diesel engines rated at more than 24hp. And they typically rated in KW (kilowatts) anyway, rather than horsepower. Given the KW number, it's then easy to do the conversion calculation for horsepower. Look for a manufacturer tag on the engine, they're usually affixed either to the valve cover or to an open spot on the engine block. See if you can find a KW number.

The ROPS regulation on agricultural tractors was issued in 1975 and requires tractors manufactured after October 25, 1976 of over 20 hp engine used in agriculture to be equipped with a seatbelt and ROPS. The problem is, I can't find evidence of KAMA or TaiShan tractors being imported that far back. But given that "TS" doesn't necessarily stand for TaiShan, it could still be a Shandong/Shantu manufactured tractor imported under some other label.

But I doubt seriously it's anywhere close to 30hp. I'd ballpark it somewhere closer to the 20-24hp vicinity.

//greg//

Attachments

• Shandong logo.jpg
    Shandong logo.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 307
   / TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR #12  
look on that tag on the left side on the bellhousing just back from the breather that tag will have your #s and MF name Jeep

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR
THANKS RICH. I TEND TO THINK IT IS A 30HP ENGINE FOR TWO REASONS ONLY, THE PAST OWNER SAID IT WAS SURE IT WAS A 30 HP AND THE CAST IN NUMBERS/LETTERS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE BLOCK IS |47|30I. THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO GO ON AND I'M NO TRACTOR EXPERT SO I THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT. IT AT LEAST GIVES ME MORE WAYS TO LOOK AT THE PROBLEM. I AM GOING TO DIG AROUND ON IT SOME MORE, CLEANING IT AS I GO, MAYBE I WILL FIND MORE IDENTIFYING MARKS/NUMBERS.

TELL ME, WOULD A WATER PUMP FROM A TS 304 OR A TS 354 FIT ON THIS ENGINE, ASSUMING IT IS A 30HP ENGINE?

THANKS AGAIN

ERIC

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR #14  
Like Greg, I've never seen or even heard of a 2-cylinder Chinese tractor engine that developed anything much over 20 hp. Yes, the previous owner may have said it was a 30hp, but Greg has probably dealt with several times as many Chinese tractors as he has and I'd be inclined to trust his judgment on this one.

The numbers 47 and 301 cast into the block could mean anything - in fact, the *MOST* likely meaning is a casting number, entirely unrelated to the output power. Power ratings and displacement figures are generally displayed on a tag affixed to the engine after manufacture since these things can be influenced by things like injector timing, valve timing and compression ratios. My Jinma 304 is rated at 30HP - the TY395 engine in it is the same block that is in the Jinma 354 where it is rated at 35HP. The difference is in the injector timing, I'm told by the dealers and mechanics. Something to think about.

As for the water pump from a 304 or 354 fitting that 2-cylinder engine, I seriously doubt it.

Rich

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR
RICH, GREG AND JEEPER,

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE, KEEN OBSERVATIONS OF MY PHOTOS AND YOUR INPUT. IT IS ALL VERY HELPFUL FOR ME TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS THAT I HAVE HERE. LIVING IN A VERY RURAL AREA OF EAST TENNESSEE THE AVAILABLE EXPERIENCE WITH CHINESE TRACTORS IS NON EXISTANT. SO AGAIN THANK YOU ALL. WHEN I GET SOME TIME SCRAPE MORE DIRT AND GREASE OF HER AND FIND SOME PLATES AND NUMBERS I WILL MAKE ANOTHER POST WHEN I FIND OUT MORE. THANKS FOR HELPING POINT ME IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION. AIRPLANES I KNOW BUT WITH TRACTORS I'M A NEOPHYTE. I DO HAVE A KUBOTA 3650 WITH A LOADER THAT DOES ALL MY WORK. THIS CHINESE TRACTOR AND AN OLD 1979 B750K HONDA ARE MY RETIREMENT PROJECTS.

ERIC

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR #16  
look on that tag on the left side on the bellhousing just back from the breather that tag will have your #s and MF name Jeep
That's just the ring gear viewing port. When removed, it permits you to find the timing marks. It can also be used when you want to manually rotate the flywheel - one tooth at a time - like when you need TDC for a valve lash job. It does not contain information pertinent to this discussion.

//greg//

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR #17  
LIVING IN A VERY RURAL AREA OF EAST TENNESSEE THE AVAILABLE EXPERIENCE WITH CHINESE TRACTORS IS NON EXISTANT. ...
Same here when I retired to western Kentucky. That's why so much of the info you'll find on forums like this, comes from the venerable school of hard knocks. You're welcome to drive over here some day. You can take a look at the latter day KAMA and TaiShan and see if any parts/components look compatible.

//greg//

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR #18  
Not sure, but something I read somewhere led me to think that Taishan is what Kama was called before it became Kama. Or perhaps that they were two names for the same company in Shandong, China. You could probably Google it up; I'm sure that's how I came across it.

Rich

Taishan is one of the 5 highest mountain in China, which locates in Shandong province.
but i don't think it an easy thing to find a prat produced in 1960s...even in China...

/ TAISHAN 324 30HP 4WD CHINESE TRACTOR #19  
Sorry, havn't been here in a while. The pictures look alot like a TS304 made by the Shandong tractor works. The 324 is probably a model number assigned by the importer. Shandong tractor works made (makes?) their own engine. In the 30HP tractor it is designated by SD2100. the normal code to chinese engine models is the first digit is the number of cylinders, followed by the bore of each cylinder, in this cas3 2 100mm bore cylinders. teh SD295 is the 25 HP unit. The names are somewhat confuing. KAMA was a consortium of some sort and had products of thier design build by several manufactures. these included generators, tractors and indian sex books (not really but you would think so when you google kama). Let me know if I can help you find parts.