Jinma 284 won't start

/ Jinma 284 won't start #1  

carnut66

Tractor
Ag King 2840
I have a Jinma 284 that fires while it is being cranked but won't keep running. I have just reassembled the engine after replacing the head gasket and the freeze plugs under the valve lifter covers. I was getting water into the oil and found a freeze plug had popped out.

I have a full fuel tank and I pumped up the hand primer pump until I have a good flow of fuel from the return line to the tank. When I crank the engine, it acts like it wants to start but as soon as I release the key, it will run for about 5 seconds and then quit. Any ideas what the problem might be?

I feel comfortable with gas engines but fuel injection diesels are new to me.:confused:

/ Jinma 284 won't start #2  
Do you have power to the glow plugs? If so, are you preheating the glow plugs for 30-45 seconds before attempting the start? Mine needs this procedure even in the New England summer for a cold start.

/ Jinma 284 won't start
I do not have power to the glow plugs at this time. Before I took it apart, it would start without using them. It was 97 today in south Louisiana so not sure that I really need them but I will give it a try.

/ Jinma 284 won't start #4  
If you've got the YangDong Y385 engine, it's a cold-blooded SOB. On the Y385 - even on a 97 degree day - a cold start is just that. Get the glow plug circuit working and try again. Use the compression release too. Besides saving wear and tear on the starter and battery, it helps clear any air left in the hardlines.

The other thing is that - if you didn't confirm TDC on #1 cylinder from the gitgo - you could have adjusted the valves 180 degrees out.
//greg//

Last edited:
   / Jinma 284 won't start #5  
Sounds like you still have air trapped,Have you tried pumping the primer when it tries to start and running the 5 seconds ,?? you can also break the line on the # 1 injector loose,turn the engine over about 10 seconds,tighten it do number 2,3 the same way.Then try to re-start,the injectors can have air trapped even though you have fuel returning to the tank.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ Jinma 284 won't start #6  
You did properly set the valve to push rod clearance and the de-compression links?

/ Jinma 284 won't start #7  
I would think that if the valves were misadjusted it wouldn't run at all. No compression, not enough heat to ignite the fuel. I also think there is air in the IP or injector hard lines. The injectors pop/fire because of hydraulic pressure from the IP. Air in the line acts like a spring and absorbs tge pressure instead of transmitting it to the injector. As mentioned, the only way to purge the air out of the hard lines is to loosen the fittings at the injector and crank the engine over with the throttle high and the compression release on to make cranking easier on the starter.

/ Jinma 284 won't start
I appreciate the response to my questions. Unfortunately, it is raining and the wife has her priorities, so I can't go out and check the hard lines and glow plugs right now. I plan to hook up the glow plugs and bleed the hard lines as you advise as soon as I can.

I truly appreciate your suggestions and advice and I will report back what I find as soon as I can get back at it.

Thanks

/ Jinma 284 won't start #9  
Sounds like fuel starvation.

Fuel line could have trash in it, and the fuel filter might need changing. Injector might be sucking air. Disconnect the fuel line at the input to the fuel filter and see if you have a good flow. Do you have a water separator?

/ Jinma 284 won't start
:thumbsup:Well, your information was dead on target. It finally stopped raining so I powered up the glow plugs but it didn't help. I then cracked each hard line at the injector and cranked the engine and it started. It took it a while to settle down and run smoothly. Now, all I have to do it bump the starter and it is running. THANKS