nortrac dozer need help with a repair

/ nortrac dozer need help with a repair #1  

20 20

Elite Member
Hey folks just wondering if any of the dozer owners have had to take apart the final drive on the nortrac dozer, left side? I am trying to get the "drive shaft{part#13}" out of the "final big driving gear {Part #6}". I'm not sure if these are pressed together or if when it broke it jammed itself in there. There is limited space to push from the inside{toward PTO}, maybe 4". My shaft broke right at the "final big driving gear" so I have no way to grab it from the outside. Thanks for any help.

/ nortrac dozer need help with a repair #2  
Let me get to my book. You may have to heat and press the gear of you twisted the splines.

/ nortrac dozer need help with a repair
Thanks Bob Rooks. It twisted off just before it enters the "final big driving gear" I was/am hoping that it is just suppose to slide in. I'm affraid if I put to much pressure on the shaft I may end up breaking something else.

/ nortrac dozer need help with a repair #4  
After you remove the bull gear, remove #1 through #5 then knock out the broken spline shaft from the tractor side.
I'm on my phone so I'm limited

/ nortrac dozer need help with a repair #5  
Replace all of the bearings and seals for the drive shaft too.

Thanks again Bob Rooks; That is where I am at right now I have everything removed even 3/4 of the driveshaft{where it broke off} I have put a small scissor jack against the shaft {tractor side} and tried to jack it out. So far no luck, I'm trying to figure away to get more leverage on the shaft from the tractor side. Part #6 is lose but can not be takin out because of what is left of the driveshaft #13. It must have jammed itself enough to be a pain, I really don't think it should be this tight????

Just so everyone knows, this happened while dredging out a pond. I was in about 2+ feet of muck and must have got a rock stuck in the track. The dozer never gave any issues I was even backing up to make sure I still had hard ground to continue on. The rock must have pinched in while backing up{no way to see through the goop}, once it caught and snapped it was to late. This was in no way an issue with the dozer, my fault completely.

/ nortrac dozer need help with a repair #7  
Friend broke his the same way, rock in the track.

That must have been fun getting yours out of the "goop"

Teg, that is exactly what happened to mine, I finally got the %&^%&^ thing to pop out some heat and a rubber mallet.
I bought an old hein werner excavator{40,000lb machine}awhile back that is what more or less picked it up and pulled it out of the soup. We tried hooking chains and cables but they kept breaking even the hooks. I finally drove as close as I could and used the bucket to pick up the front and turn the dozer, then hooked a chain and pulled it out.

Looks like getting parts is going to be a real blast :drool:

/ nortrac dozer need help with a repair #9  
Looks like getting parts is going to be a real blast :drool:

I have found that Circle-G stocks the most dozer parts. If you know of anybody else, I'd appreciate it.

Working in slurry is one of the worst conditions for tracked machines, especially the glacial till variety. If these dozers had decent rock guards and carrier covers it would greatly reduce failures like this.

Hey Bob Rooks I'll keep my eyes open I have started ordering parts from CG. I called Northern Tool a few days back to give them a heads up on what happened and that I may need to order parts. The guy that day told me "no problem we have all the dozer parts in stock". Well quess what, today I call to make an order and for some reason the only part they had was ONE seal everything else would be back ordered, for who knows how long :( {I was told possibly 3+weeks}. I'm going to see if a friend can machine the driveshaft out, if he can I'll probably get it cheaper and a whole lot faster.

I agree working in the slop can be nasty and most of this area was covered in glaciers way back when. I did remove the rock guards because in my opinion they did more harm then good for most of what I do. The rock guards seem to hold rocks in, instead of keeping them out. What I was doing this time, I don't know if the guards would have helped or not???? I believe this rock came from the top side??? I still can't complain about the machine especially for what I paid and how well it has worked. I believe any time we decide to play with tracked machines things are going to get pricy sooner or later.