Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL?

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #1  

tigers2007

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere AMT626, New Holland LS45
I found a Agracat 2940Super (Jinma 254) with an asking price of $3500. It looks like its in decent shape but there is one problem -- the owner says that the clutch is acting wierd. He says that it can't be shifted when the engine is running; it makes a grinding noise. He said that if you start in in the gear you want, it will drive fine (I'm assuming he meant that you can use the clutch but not shift into different gears when the engine is running).

I have a decent ability to work on cars and I have the tools of the trade. Is this deal worth considering?

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #2  
I would jump on it. Worst case it needs a new clutch. Less than $200 in parts and a weekend pulling it apart and replacing. It could also be something as simple as a broken roll pin, maladjusted clutch, or a frozen bearing.

Chris

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #3  
Sounds like it could be a good deal to me. Depends on how many hours it has on the clock and how the overall condition appears. Like Chris said, the clutch is a weekend project and not expensive if it needs replacing, bu tit could be just a sheared roll pin in the linkage or something else simple like a misadjustment. It is a 2-stage clutch so you'd want to check out the PTO action, too.

Rich

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL?
I'm going to go take a look at it in the next couple days. Its a 2000 with almost 500hours.

If I can get my hand on a service manual, I have the confidence to repair anything - or at least try ;)

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #5  
Unless you can read Chinese, you're not going to find a service manual. Best you can do is buy the set of 4 translated manuals that came with it when new:
tractor: operations & maintenance
tractor: parts
engine: operations & maintenance
engine: parts

Once you get a dose of the Chinglish, you'll likely gain a new appreciation for forums like this.

//greg//

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #6  
Sounds like a smokin' good deal to me! I picked up a like new 284 last year for under $3000 (no FEL though) and enjoyed it all summer then resold it on ebay for a nice little profit. If it had had a loader I would have kept it...I'd jump on this with both feet if the rest of the tractor is in decent mechanical condition, the clutch issue wouldn't bother me much.

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #7  
I'd jump on this with both feet if the rest of the tractor is in decent mechanical condition, the clutch issue wouldn't bother me much.
Good attitude, as long as (first time owners) understand that the Chinese clutchpacks are not ready to use right outa the box. There are some adjustments to make (or verify) - either on the bench or on the flywheel - then a few more to make after putting the tractor back together.

//greg//

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL?
The FEL is a Koyker 160. After doing some searching on the web, it's either that pin or the clutch disc is physically stuck together.

If thats the case, and if I don't have enough time to tackle this, how much roughly speaking do you think a mechanic would charge to replace the clutch assembly?

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #9  
it all depends on the area for mech prices, expect to have troubles finding good local jinma mech as well. lots of the dealers wont work on one so beware of that. 500 to 800 depending on the area $ if you can find them.

mark

/ Jinma 254 for $3500 with FEL? #10  
I would also say you are looking at $750 plus part to do a clutch job. Its only a good deal if you do the clutch yourself.

Chris