Clutch Issues?

/ Clutch Issues? #1  

Okie tractor

Tractor
Kama 454
I have a 2005 Kama 454 with approximately 370 hours. The problem is when I put the tractor in gear not matter which gear is selected, it will not go forward or backward for about 30 seconds to a minute after the clutch is released, it eventually proceeds up to normal driving conditions after what seems like a long time! Any ideas???

/ Clutch Issues? #2  
Could be a couple of things. Your clutch might be worn out if it wasn't properly adjusted at time of purchase or if you are in the habit of "riding" the clutch. Another possibility is that the clutch might have dirt/rust in the throwout bearing carrier so it isn't sliding freely on the shaft, causing it to take a long time to move up to full engagement. Last possibility I can think of is the linkage has a huge amount of slop in it and is also sticking. I seriously doubt that's the case though.

Maybe it's just a slow learner...:laughing:

You'll probably need to open the inspection window and do a visual inspection of the throwout carrier and the clutch disc thickness. I expect the only disc you'll be able to see is the PTO clutch but that should give you an idea of the condition of both. On the subject of the PTO, does it engage immediately or does it also take thirty seconds to engage? It should, obviously, be the first one to engage, so if it engages and the driving clutch doesn't there's something really weird going on.

Rich

/ Clutch Issues? #3  
Any ideas???
Has anybody been in there "adjusting" the clutch (through the inspection window) for you? Because - unless you are a chronic "pedal rider" - what you describe is an unusual problem. You don't ride the clutch pedal, do you?

If you have been riding the clutch, then you're likely going to have to - at a minimum - replace the main drive friction disc. Maybe the whole clutchpack, but I can't tell that from here. But if someone's been stickin' wrenches through the inspection window without know what they're doing, the solution may simply be a tightening of the main drive section of the clutchpack.

..greg..

/ Clutch Issues? #4  
I have a 2005 Kama 454 with approximately 370 hours. The problem is when I put the tractor in gear not matter which gear is selected, it will not go forward or backward for about 30 seconds to a minute after the clutch is released, it eventually proceeds up to normal driving conditions after what seems like a long time! Any ideas???

Is the clutch pedal stiff and requires a bit of effort to push in ? If it is , the pivots may be seizing up and may require lubrication . This would make the clutch slip until the pedal finally was pulled back by the return spring and pressure plate fingers .

/ Clutch Issues?
I don't consider my self a clutch rider! And no one has done any adjusting that I know of, I obtained this tractor early this summer. In fact I am needing to take the front end loader off to access the inspection plate. As for the action of the the clutch, it is no stiffer or easier than it was before this started happening. I talked to someone at Artrac, and they mentioned it may be the clutch plates and the tractor would not move in 4th gear if it was that. But it does, the same as it does in any gear.

/ Clutch Issues? #6  
I am needing to take the front end loader off to access the inspection plate..
Not necessary. Unlike Jinma, the KAMA and TaiShan tractors have a clutch inspection window that's clear of the loader mounts. But based upon your followup response, my diagnosis goes along with that from ARTRAC. If not you, then the previous owner was a clutch rider. Not uncommon; first time owner + front end loader = premature clutch wear.

Unfortunately repair means splitting the tractor, which THEN means the loader will have to come off

//greg//

/ Clutch Issues? #7  
I have a Koyker 160 FEL and I recently took it off to inspect the clutch area. In whole, it took me about 30 minutes to remove the FEL and the two associated brackets that mount over the inspection areas. Just make sure you have the right tools to do the job (oversized wrenches). I just bought a set of jumbo long wrenches from Northerntool.com for $42 that have all the necessary sizes (3/4", 13/16", 7/8", 1 1/8", etc.) for these huge bolts.

/ Clutch Issues? #8  

It all sounds weird to me , 30-60 seconds is a huge amount of time waiting for a clutch to engage . And then it works fine and will pull away in fourth gear ?

/ Clutch Issues? #9  
It all sounds weird to me , 30-60 seconds is a huge amount of time waiting for a clutch to engage . And then it works fine and will pull away in fourth gear ?

I am wondering the same thing. I wonder if it could be a rusted set of release fingers or throw out bearing?

Chris

/ Clutch Issues? #10  
That is unusual. I agree that it sounds like the throwout bearing slider or fingers are stiff and releasing the clutch pedal pressure slowly after the pedal is released. This slow release, and the slipping associated with it, if it hasn't already, will kill the friction disks if not fixed. Could be as simple as the "yak fat' used for grease on the slider shaft has thickened/dried and has become sticky and restricting travel. It could also be that the interlocking pressure plates have corrosion and are resisting movement, or it could be a combination of all of these. You need to get access to the windows and watch what happens inside when the pedal is released(engine NOT running). Throwout slider and fingers should move at the same rate as the pedal...