Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Member jpowell86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    44
    Tractor
    2003 Farm Pro 2430

    Default Backwards temp gauge or incorrect sender?

    I put a new thermostat and temp sender in my 2003 farm pro 2430. Before the new stuff the temp gauge would always go all the over to the right below 40 and stay there no matter how log I ran the tractor. With the new sender in; the gauge is working but appears to work backwards. Any ideas? I've already tried swapping wires on the back and that didn't help.
    Jimmy

    2003 Farm Pro 2430 | Koyker 160 FEL | John Deere L100

  2. #2
    Super Member greg_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,028
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

    Default Re: Backwards temp gauge or incorrect sender?

    Below 40? Are you talking coolant temperature - or oil pressure?

    //greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

  3. #3
    Member jpowell86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    44
    Tractor
    2003 Farm Pro 2430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greg_g
    Below 40? Are you talking coolant temperature - or oil pressure?

    //greg//
    Definitely coolant temp. With the old sender it would start to left without power. When power was turned on at ignition the needle would go all the way right below 40 Celsius and never move. With the new sender the needle on the gauge starts at the left and comes toward the center as the engine comes to temp.
    Jimmy

    2003 Farm Pro 2430 | Koyker 160 FEL | John Deere L100

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Bob Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,267
    Location
    Bothell & Silverdale, WA
    Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

    Default Re: Backwards temp gauge or incorrect sender?

    40°C is equal to 104°F.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Bob Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,267
    Location
    Bothell & Silverdale, WA
    Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

    Default Re: Backwards temp gauge or incorrect sender?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpowell86 View Post
    Definitely coolant temp. With the old sender it would start to left without power. Please clarify. What does that mean?

    When power was turned on at key switch the needle would go all the way right below 40 Celsius and never move. Are you saying it pegged the needle?

    With the new sender the needle on the gauge starts at the left and comes toward the center as the engine comes to temp. This would be correct. What is the reading on the gauge at that point?


    12345
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

  6. #6
    Member jpowell86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    44
    Tractor
    2003 Farm Pro 2430

    Default

    Maybe an image will help. That was taken with no power to it.

    With the new sender In It starts in the same position when there is power. When it is warming up it goes toward the right.

    With the old sender it would be at the left without power and move all the way to the right with power. When the engine was warmed up it never moved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-592576316-png  
    Jimmy

    2003 Farm Pro 2430 | Koyker 160 FEL | John Deere L100

  7. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    802
    Location
    US Virgin Islands
    Tractor
    Jinma JM304

    Default Re: Backwards temp gauge or incorrect sender?

    Goofiest looking gauge I ever saw. Highest reading is at rest and then it goes to a lower reading, apparently. Looks kinda like they printed the gauge face backwards, doesn't it?

    I think that if I was faced with something like that I'd chuck the gauge and sender both and replace them with an aftermarket mechanical gauge I could both understand and believe in.

    Rich

  8. #8
    Veteran Member K7LN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,545
    Location
    Michigan
    Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

    Default Re: Backwards temp gauge or incorrect sender?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpowell86 View Post
    With the new sender In, It starts in the same position when there is power. When it is warming up it goes toward the right.

    With the old sender it would be at the left without power and move all the way to the right with power. When the engine was warmed up it never moved.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpowell86 View Post
    With the old sender it would start to left without power. When power was turned on at ignition the needle would go all the way right below 40 Celsius and never move. With the new sender the needle on the gauge starts at the left and comes toward the center as the engine comes to temp.
    I'd say that the sender was bad and you've got it working OK now. Your operating temperature should be somewhere around 85*C. Disregard the backward movement and the resting spot of 100*C without power. That's common meter operation. The scale is simply reversed and its operation seems to be on par with any working system. To clarify my thinking on this:

    1) power off - meter full left

    2) power on with cold engine - meter near or past full right

    3) power on with engine warming up to temperature - meter moves toward middle (from 40*) as engine warms

    4) power on with engine up to operating temperature - meter near 80* midscale

    If this is what you observe, you're in good shape! If not, go the mechanical gauge route as suggested.
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

  9. #9
    Member jpowell86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    44
    Tractor
    2003 Farm Pro 2430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7LN

    I'd say that the sender was bad and you've got it working OK now. Your operating temperature should be somewhere around 85*C. Disregard the backward movement and the resting spot of 100*C without power. That's common meter operation. The scale is simply reversed and its operation seems to be on par with any working system. To clarify my thinking on this:

    1) power off - meter full left

    2) power on with cold engine - meter near or past full right

    3) power on with engine warming up to temperature - meter moves toward middle (from 40*) as engine warms

    4) power on with engine up to operating temperature - meter near 80* midscale

    If this is what you observe, you're in good shape! If not, go the mechanical gauge route as suggested.
    Currently with the new sensor in the needle starts at 100 cold and moves toward 80 as it is coming to temp.
    Jimmy

    2003 Farm Pro 2430 | Koyker 160 FEL | John Deere L100

  10. #10
    Super Star Member Diamondpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,362
    Location
    Daleville, IN
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

    Default Re: Backwards temp gauge or incorrect sender?

    Your gauge is backwards of mine on my 284. I think the gauge is printed backwards.

    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Yanmar 1500 temp gauge
    By jduggan0318 in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
  2. Tranny temp gauge sensor; where to put it?
    By RobertN in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 01:32 PM
  3. TC35 trans temp gauge
    By jjbath in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
  4. Temp Gauge For Non-Deluxe TCs
    By Anonymous Poster in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-16-2002, 12:01 PM
  5. Temp Gauge
    By mrolson in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-17-2001, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.