Comparison Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #1  

vo2et

Tractor
Foton TE254
Does anyone know the function of the secondary linkage going from the clutch arm (at the clutch housing) to the rear of the tractor? It's adjustable and terminates at the top of the transmission near the rear.
Thanks
Darryl

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #2  
Haven't heard it described that way before. Shuttle shift perhaps? Or is there a reverse gear on the regular gear shift lever?

//greg//

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #3  
Likely for control of the PTO from the rear of the tractor. Had a set up like that on an old Minneapolis Moline to run a grain auger. A hand operated clutch.

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #4  
Does anyone know the function of the secondary linkage going from the clutch arm (at the clutch housing) to the rear of the tractor? It's adjustable and terminates at the top of the transmission near the rear.
Thanks
Darryl
hi darryl
the linkage i think u are talking about activates a 3/8 round rod going through the small manifold block just behind the hi low transmission lever. the rod as 4 flat spots on it wich activate 3,, 1/4 : pins with springs on them. if the flat spots on the rod don't line up at the rite time you have trouble shifting gears.i took the manifold block of cleaned out some gasket goo from around the srings ,adjusted the linkage to were i thought it should be, seemed to work better. i have had the tractor only 2 weeks . spent 4 ,8 hour days,experimenting, setting things up, clutch.starter. 4 wheel drive.
preheat.decompression lever,etc,, my tractor has 33 hrs on it, i have to stop the engine to engage th pto. drive, it doesn,t like to engage with the moter running,with the clutch in or out. does any body have any info on this problem. thanks for the read,, t.w.b.c. canada..

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #5  
I guess the OP forgot he posted, so let's deal with your PTO question. In most cases, the problem you describe is due to a mal-adjusted clutch. But in your text you mentioned already doing something to the clutch. So let's clear up a point first:
1. please describe what you did to the clutch system
2. did this PTO engagement problem exist before #1 above? or did it start after?

//greg//

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #6  
I guess the OP forgot he posted, so let's deal with your PTO question. In most cases, the problem you describe is due to a mal-adjusted clutch. But in your text you mentioned already doing something to the clutch. So let's clear up a point first:
1. please describe what you did to the clutch system
2. did this PTO engagement problem exist before #1 above? or did it start after?

//greg//

hi greg. thanks for your responce.i am about as familiar with tractors as i am with this web site, i am new to both,i would like to know how u fit into this organization, and how much time u have to explain some of the mysteries (to me) about my tractor.i have a few puzzles i have to solve yet.
to try and answer your????s wat did i do to adjust the clutch,we adjusted the three adjustment bolts and the 3 1/2: bolt on the clutch, to wat i thought would give us more contact. the clutch seems to need more adjustment,it is way better but i am still not satisfied, i dont no for sure wether the pto engagement was unfriendly before as i had other promblems to deal with.thanks again for your time. t.w. b.c. canada...

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254
Hi Guys,
I found out the name to the secondary linkage I was referring to. It attaches to the clutch release rocker arm and finally to the transmission interlock shaft. It is called the transmission interlock lower link pin. Adjustment of this pin did not solve my problem of grinding when engaging the PTO. I had to adjust the clutch itself through the inspection window on the RH side of the tractor. I had to adjust the main clutch separating levers and the aux. clutch separating levers as per the service manual to achieve proper clutch separation which now allows engagement of the PTO without grinding. Hope this answeres your question.:thumbsup:

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #8  
...i would like to know how u fit into this organization, and how much time u have to explain some of the mysteries (to me) about my tractor.i have a few puzzles i have to solve yet.
I'm just one of the regular members here, having owned 4 Chinese tractors over the last 10 years or so. I'll admit up front that none of them was a Foton. But some problems are fairly universal.

The description of what you did to the clutch is unclear, but I'll have to assume that you did so without really understanding what those adjustments did (or didn't). The two most common problems that inhibit smooth PTO engagement are (1) incorrect gap between clutch release fingers, and (2) not enough pedal travel. There are more complicated reasons, but these two have to be checked first.

With the tractor parked and the engine off, open the clutch inspection window. Tell me if you have a six fingered clutch or a three fingered clutch. If it's a six finger, the closest three fingers are for the main drive and the other three are for the PTO. Then measure the gaps between all three (or six) fingers and the vertical face of the throwout bearing - and post the numbers here.

Also. How many manuals came with this tractor, and what is each for?

//greg//

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #9  
Hi Guys,
I found out the name to the secondary linkage I was referring to. It attaches to the clutch release rocker arm and finally to the transmission interlock shaft. It is called the transmission interlock lower link pin. Adjustment of this pin did not solve my problem of grinding when engaging the PTO. I had to adjust the clutch itself through the inspection window on the RH side of the tractor. I had to adjust the main clutch separating levers and the aux. clutch separating levers as per the service manual to achieve proper clutch separation which now allows engagement of the PTO without grinding. Hope this answeres your question.:thumbsup:

hi vo2et.
i am strugling with anyform of adjustment on my foton 254 2008 tractor. if you have a detailed service manual. were can i get one. name your price and i am in.. i need to know watsome of the terminolgy is refering too.the manual i have is so vague and uniformative,any thing i do to the tractor is a guessing game. the nearest dealer to me is a days drive once i get onto the mainland. i live on vancouver island b.c. canada.
i am looking forward to obtaining some understandable instructions in plain english. thanks t.w.

/ Secondary clutch linkage on Foton TE254 #10  
I'm just one of the regular members here, having owned 4 Chinese tractors over the last 10 years or so. I'll admit up front that none of them was a Foton. But some problems are fairly universal.

The description of what you did to the clutch is unclear, but I'll have to assume that you did so without really understanding what those adjustments did (or didn't). The two most common problems that inhibit smooth PTO engagement are (1) incorrect gap between clutch release fingers, and (2) not enough pedal travel. There are more complicated reasons, but these two have to be checked first.

With the tractor parked and the engine off, open the clutch inspection window. Tell me if you have a six fingered clutch or a three fingered clutch. If it's a six finger, the closest three fingers are for the main drive and the other three are for the PTO. Then measure the gaps between all three (or six) fingers and the vertical face of the throwout bearing - and post the numbers here.

Also. How many manuals came with this tractor, and what is each for?

//greg//
hi greg,
i feel i am being a pain in the butt here, i am a retired, t. q. millwright/ welder, worked on mechnical, hydraualic, pneaumatic,and electrical equipment all my life,but as u can guess i know nothin about tractors.

darryl, on the post above sounds like he has a detailed service manual,so i am hoping i can obtain one so that i can get a handle on some of the service proceedurs,if u are interested i will keep u posted, thanks for all your help
sofar. b4n t.w