fuel problem?

/ fuel problem? #1  

riley19d

Tractor
2005 jinma 454 le
i bought this tractor recently and i have taken several steps to get it running right, fuel bowl upgrade, new fuel line to the pump, and new fuel filter, it runs fine when first started then the power trickles off, if i pump the primer it comes back to life and runs fine, i have purged the air several times dont know what else to do, HELP PLEASE.

/ fuel problem? #2  
Have you taken the whole assembly out of the fuel tank and cleaned or replaced the in-tank strainer screen? Is *all* the hose new, and not just the piece between the sediment bowl and the lift pump? Old hoses can collapse and starve the pump for fuel or they can shed bits of detritus that clog filters; clogged strainers and filters do the same, etc. From what you describe, the tractor starting fine and then losing power, it sounds as though your engine is starving for fuel when running. That indicates a restriction in the fuel supply somewhere - track it down starting at the fuel tank and working your way one piece at a time to the injection pump.

Rich

Last edited:
   / fuel problem? #4  
Bah - HUMbugs! If it was humbugs I'd think they'd have done more than just slow fuel delivery by this point, but maybe not. Fortunately (for me) you have much more experience with the little buggers than I do. I paid attention to your warnings and take precautions, and I haven't had any issues so far - having said that, of course, I'll probably get them now. :(

Rich

/ fuel problem? #6  
Mine acted just like Riley's prior to plugging up almost solid. I sure wish they came with fuel pressure gauges (like mine now has). There are pictures of my experience with the critters on CTOA, but can't find them right now. You may also find a screen in the banjo bolt on the suction side of your lift pump.
In order for these engines to perform up to their ratings they must maintain a minimum 10 psig of un-aerated fuel in the fuel injection pump fuel cavity (that portion of the fuel injection pump that you bleed) at all engine speeds and loads above ~900 r/m.

/ fuel problem?
i know for sure i am starving for fuel but if i Can pump the primer and it runs fine do any of you know if the restriction would be before or after the pump, also when i pump the primer some fuel weeps out of the shaft could it be that its letting it lose pressure?should i replace the primer?

/ fuel problem? #8  
also when i pump the primer some fuel weeps out of the shaft could it be that its letting it lose pressure?should i replace the primer?
No, not necessary.The hand primer is completely out of the loop when the engine is running except when you operate it. The hand primer utilizes the same check valves that are in the lift pump. Did you check the strainer in the lift pump suction banjo fitting like I requested? You may have to temporairily install a vacuum gauge at the lift pump suction and a 60 psi pressure gauge downstream of the secondary fuel filter. It is remotely possible that the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel injection pump has failed, not allowing pressure to build in the cavity*.

*This will give the same symptom as a restricted fuel supply.

In my case I found that the lift pump check valve seats had become badly pitted due to "BUGS" and weren't working effectively, and that the fuel pressure regulator had also suffered the same fate and had to be replaced.

Last edited:
   / fuel problem?
ya i checked the screen in the banjo fitting and it was clear i even blew it out i cleaned the tank until i had no more crap showing in the sediment bowl when i turned the fuel on but i think im going to drain the tank and shop vac it out just to be sure its not something that simple. so the pressure regulator is also in the pump, correct? is there an easy way to clean the pump out without tearing into it?

/ fuel problem?
one more thing when i turn the fuel on the fuel bowl wont fill unless i pump the primer is this normal?