nortrac dozer trouble

/ nortrac dozer trouble #1  

20 20

Elite Member
Basically my dozer won't stop moving, it was acting odd and became worse. I push the clutch in, idle down and it still keeps going. My question is will I have to split the machine to find out what is wrong, I've allready ajusted the clutch lever? Is there away to get inside the clutch housing without basically stripping the machine down? Thanks for any ideas.

/ nortrac dozer trouble
I may have figured something out, I forgot about the pin in the clutch arm/lever connecting it to the release fork shaft. If these are anything like the tractors I know these pins aren't worth a dang {we need a smily for crossed fingers}.

/ nortrac dozer trouble #3  
I assume that you can you turn the machine... so the steering clutches are fine???

/ nortrac dozer trouble
Yep it turns and runs fine just can't get it out of gear or in {unless I shut it off or grind the__ out of it{no I won't do that}}. I push in the clutch and it acts like it is partially disengaging it would even stop when pushing into something{clutch pressed}. This did become worse and eventually even with the clutch pressed in it wouldn't make a difference. I just tried to check the shaft, lever, and pin but it's getting dark and hard to see. I'm wondering if it slipped lever on shaft{pin broke} if it still may rotate the shaft but not enough to engage. It's hard to see up under the floor board looks like I may have to remove it to get in there?

/ nortrac dozer trouble #5  
Do you still have free travel in the clutch pedal? About 3/4"?
Hear any strange noises when clutch pedal is depressed?

/ nortrac dozer trouble
There is free travel, it does sound like it's trying to disengage, no clunking or banging noise, hard to explain.

/ nortrac dozer trouble #7  
There is free travel.
How much? This is important.

An oily or greasy clutch disc will have those symptoms, but not to the point of stalling the engine.

/ nortrac dozer trouble #8  
Definitely check that pin that holds the clutch arm to the pivot shaft. I replaced mine with a bolt and tack weld, then never had to touch it again. However, a new pin might be sufficient.

Gene :^)

/ nortrac dozer trouble #9  
Let's keep the weak link on the outside of the clutch housing. It's far more convienient on a dozer to replace a pin on the outside than to remove the engine, or in the case of a wheeled tractor, to split it. You can always double up on the pin or install a coil pin. It's your call though.

/ nortrac dozer trouble
Thanks for all the ideas folks I'll add to my OP maybe that'll help explain it better.

I started the dozer to move some snow banks back, let it warm up for 10min or so. Jumped on and started out slow like allways {1200rpm} moving around just getting things warmed up. Once I ran/drove it for a few min. I brought the rpms up to 1600rpm and begain my work, everything was going strong. Had no issue's, dogging or over working, actually snow is kind of like plowing puffy clouds, IMO real easy work for this dozer. I plowed for a good hr and noticed it started to grind a little when shifting back and forth into gear. At 1st I figured maybe my foot was getting lazy{operator error} so I started paying close attetion and making sure the clutch was depressed all the way. From there things got worse it slowly and steadily got to where I had to shut it of to put it in gear to limp back to the shed.

Basically it acts like direct drive, the clutch depressed will stop it if it is pushing on a some what inmovable object{snow pile etc.}

Bob Rooks; I would say it had .75 to an 1" of play. It never did stall the engine just acted like the clutch would not disengage all the way. I hope the above helps explain what is going on better.

Gene :^) ; I was wondering the same thing, my jinma tractor had the same issue as yours I replaced the pin{double if I remember correct} and it never had another issue. I do agree with Bob Rooks though I don't think I'd weld that arm, easier to keep an issue out side then cause internal problems. I'd much rather just replace a pin every now and then compared to tearing down the machine.

Thanks again for the opinons/advice/help folks every little bit gets me pointed in the right direction IMO :thumbsup: :drink: