New Alternator!

/ New Alternator! #1  

succor

Silver Member
Tractor
foton 254
Hey everyone, I'll just post a quick thread to let everyone know that I installed a delco 12si 78 amp alternator on my foton 254 tractor and it works great!! Much more power than before!! I know there's a good chunk of info on this site but if any specific foton owners want info on how I did it, I can post. It's quite similar to the Jinma series tractors in terms of installing and I installed using the 3-wire system.

/ New Alternator! #3  
I'd be curious....
I just joined because I picked up a Foton tb504 (2008) and there is a "V" light on the dash.
There is an automotive alternator on it right now and I remember a couple years ago the original owner
had quite a problem getting it working, so any wiring changes may have already been done.
I haven't done any testing yet, but I'm gathering info about the few problems I have with this tractor.
Over 2 weekends the small car battery I installed temporarily has not lost any power, and starts just fine.
The exterior lights aren't working either so I'm thinking the V light is part of a general wiring connection problem.
Like others, I can't find specific manuals or diagrams. There are lots available but none seem to exactly what I need.

/ New Alternator! #4  
Oops. I'll have to learn to read the thread date if I expect a reply :)

/ New Alternator! #5  
Yeah, those darn Zombie threads are dangerous. :giggle:

/ New Alternator! #6  
Not to worry. As a quick sanity check, measure the battery voltage before starting up, then measure it with the engine running. That will tell you whether it's charging or not. My own tractor for example did not have a charge warning light, the light on the dash is simply a power on light, stays lit all the time the ignition switch is on.

/ New Alternator! #7  
the light on the dash is simply a power on light, stays lit all the time the ignition switch is on.

So the "V" light being on is normal?
I haven't gotten around to check charging at the battery yet.
I have used this tractor when the previous owner had it and I don't remember any lights on dash (but it was a few years ago).
Given the exterior lights not working, or working improperly I guess it would be wise to freshen up the chassis ground as well?
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to learn a lot here.

/ New Alternator! #9  
Finally got around to checking the charging system. ~ 13.5v. Good enough for me. I figure anything above battery voltage is fair seeing as it's only the lights using any power.
I'll get concerned if the green "V" light turns red?? :)

Now, on to getting the lights working. BTW, I got this machine for free, and there's a bit of a story behind it, but I expected to have to do some work seeing as the previous owner wasn't big on ANY kind of maintenance. My guess it's still got the original oil in it from 2008 :)

Tail lights come on with the ignition (running), and occasionally other lights work. Well, they did the one time anyway.
I'll be heading for the ground circuits first.
Sure would be nice to have a wiring diagram for that exact model. I have a jinma diagram that is probable pretty close.