Jinma 254 Front 4x4 drive gear re-seal / oil seal direction?

/ Jinma 254 Front 4x4 drive gear re-seal / oil seal direction? #1  

tigers2007

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere AMT626, New Holland LS45
I am in the process of fixing a nasty leak coming from the driver's side front wheel area. I didn't even see a felt gasket. Fluid would drip out of there like made.

I have everything apart and cleaned up. I noticed out the oil seals came out - the top was facing down and the bottom was facing up; is that normal? (The reason I'm asking is because someone else worked on this many moons ago and I'm not sure if they had it right.)

Also, how far down do I tap in these shaft/oil seals? Do they have to have a space between them?

And last, do I have to grease the bearings or just oil them as they will supposedly be in a gear oil bath???

Last edited:
   / Jinma 254 Front 4x4 drive gear re-seal / oil seal direction? #2  
I did this job a year ago or so. No grease on the bearings, oil is enough. The seals go in just like you took them out.

Chris

/ Jinma 254 Front 4x4 drive gear re-seal / oil seal direction? #3  
On a tractor........Which side is the drivers side? :D:laughing::D Sorry! just couldn't help myself
Ditech

/ Jinma 254 Front 4x4 drive gear re-seal / oil seal direction?
Yeah i guess I didn't think about that part; "Drivers side"...

I got it back together quickly. This is probably one of the easiest projects I've done on this tractor compared to the clutch & input shaft seals and bearings mess.

When I pulled it apart, I forgot about that 3-piece bearing assembly and the little ball bearings went everywhere! It took me about 20 minutes to locate every one of them. That is such a terrible feeling that an entire project is delayed because of something stupid like that. Otherwise, I zipped it back together and RTV'd the large outer shell, and I was done in less than an hour (not counting RTV drying time and tightening schedule).