Jinma 284 no electical

/ Jinma 284 no electical #1  

sunshine

My Jinma 284 (2007) lost all it's electrical functions. No lights, no tack or gages, no response from the ignition switch. I can start it by jumping the starter poles. Does this sound like a bad ignition switch or something else? I checked all the grounds and the battery is full charged. If anybody has any ideas please reply.

/ Jinma 284 no electical #2  
im not sure about the jimna, but both my old JD and my new Kioti have a 60 amp main fuse right next to the starter. its the main fuse. if it goes, nothing works.

Not sure if jumping the solenoid would bypass this function or not.

/ Jinma 284 no electical
Thanks for the reply. This all started when my daughter barrowed the tractor. So I won't be able to check for that fuse until I get to the daughters place, 70miles away. I will have her look tho.

/ Jinma 284 no electical #4  
The Jinma has a 30A system fuse, it's usually a green one at one end of the fuse panel. Jumping at the starter will in fact bypass it. But understand that without a good system fuse, the glow plugs don't work. So even though you can get it to turn over that way, it still might not actually start and run.

//greg//

/ Jinma 284 no electical #5  
I assume you mean key switch, there is no ignition system on these tractors, they are diesels.

I agree with Greg.

/ Jinma 284 no electical #6  
I have a 07 284 with the quachaing 1.5 ltr motor. The glow plugs in it where never conected to the electrical system, but, it does have a glow plug with a mister (the mister is conected to the fuel system) that is on the air intake manifold that gives enough of a preheat for the engene to go. If she needs to get the glow plugs to work prior to jumping the starter she can do that by conecting a wire from the pos side of the battery to the glowplug rail for 20 seconds then remove the wire and start. But with the temps been as high as they are this time of year she should not need glow plugs or the preheater to start the quachaing.

/ Jinma 284 no electical #7  
As for your electrical first check that your wireing harnesses are firmly connected, then see if your fuses are good there is a simple way to do that is to get a fuse tester (basicly a light bulb attached to a sharp steel rod with a wire and clip hanging from it) you can get one cheep at any automotive supply. Clip the wire to the fuse box frame turn on your ingnition and switches then tough the fuses with the pointy end if the light lights the fuse is good (you need to do both side of the fuse to be sure) Now that you have determand that all fuses are good unscrew the front of your ingnition switch remove it and turn it on to the run position, useing the same tester clip one end to the tractors frame (it is best to use your manual and look at the schematic for the switch it will tell you wich positions on the switch are what and clip the tester to the common ground post) and touch the pointy end to each of the contacts on the back of the switch if there is no light anywere then your switch is shot

/ Jinma 284 no electical #8  
As mentioned, power flows from the battery thru a main fuse to the key switch. From there, it flows back to the fuse panel to be distributed thru the various fuses to the remaining circuits. The start circuit goes from the key switch thru the clutch switch and on to the starter solenoid. Of course the ground return path to the battery - terminal is thru the frame. No complete path from + to - on the battery means no current flow, so don't forget to check the battery ground to the chassis(could be as simple as a bad ground)...

Here is a diagram I drew from my 284's wiring, as the one in the manual was way out of date. It is incomplete(no gauge wiring) but it should have what you need to troubleshoot a power failure. The numbers on the wires are the number labels that were attached to the wires on my harness.

Boy I really need to finish this drawing someday to include the gauge cluster and sensor wiring. Perhaps i will get my chance, as my Tach quit yesterday while brushhogging the back yard...

Good Luck

/ Jinma 284 no electical #9  
Just a caution in case theres more out there like me. When jumping starter, please make sure you are in neutral first. Ask me how I know.......very scary.

/ Jinma 284 no electical
Thank you all for the replies.
Ron I copied your diagram and I think it will be a great help. Wednesday I will go over to the daughters and recover the tractor, bring it home where I have tools and getter done. Again thanks to you all and I will let you know what turns out.
Dave

Rosalia, Wa.