540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed

/ 540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed #1  

cleat

Silver Member
Tractor
Dongfeng 254G2
I was just thinking that I mow with the tractor at around 1600 RPM with my 6' finishing mower because I do not feel the need to rev the **** out of the tractor just to mow grass. However, if the tractor had the option of the 720 RPM PTO at 1600 RPM my PTO would really be turning close to 540. My side yard is not heavy grass and I cut it weekly so it does not get too long either. I know this is long winded but the question is can you change the PTO gearing easily so it has 540/720 RPM ? My tractor is a 2011 Dongfeng 254G2.

Last edited:
   / 540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed #2  
Novice tractor owners bring this up quite often. They don't realize that both the tractor and implement manufacturers engineer their products to work most efficiently at specific speeds. When you run the tractor at less than PTO revs (as indicated on your tachometer) you risk unnecessary engine and drivetrain wear when the implement drags the revs down below the effective range on the torque curve. Matter of fact, my new JD has a feature that automatically increases engine output when it senses more throttle is needed to maintain adequate output torque - without any input from the operator. So you're not actually running the **** out of your engine, it's truly designed to work that way.

720 and 1000 PTO speeds are not typical for compact and utility implements in this country, so you'll likely have no practical use for either. And PTO driven implements are designed around the concept that they works most efficiently when the tractor engine is producing revs that generate 540 rpms at the PTO output. My wood-chipper for example; it might sound as if there's too much engine when the chipper is eating twigs and leaves. But as soon as it sucks in that 5 inch diameter limb, I'm **** glad she's running at PTO revs. In addition to the torque factor already mentioned, it relates - in the case of mowers for example - to blade tip speed.

Getting creative with manufacturers recommendations about engine revs and PTO speed selecting will do nothing to extend the life of your equipment, in fact can actually shorten it. And in many cases you'll likely be less than satisfied with the work product as well.

But to address your actual question, it's possible - but not easy. Dong Feng sells worldwide, so they could likely (eventually) provide you with the necessary 720 drive gear(s). Don't expect to find them here in America though, they would probably have to be sent from China. But that's the easy part. With gear(s) in hand, you'd then have to split the tractor in half, remove the transmission from the rear half, and remove/disassemble the entire PTO driveline - just to swap a couple gears.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / 540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed #3  
Greg is 100% correct. Like he said we see this question about 5 times a year with novice tractor owners.

Tractors and diesel engines are designed to run at a specific rpm range. PTO speed on most tractors I have seen are clearly marked on the tach. On my Jinma it is marked with a green line around 2300 rpm if my memory is right. Max RPM is something like 2550 rpm so its right up there but that is where they like to be.

Running at a lower RPM will do more damage by lugging the engine. To keep your equipment in tip to shape run it like its supposed to be run. Use your gears to adjust ground speed, not rpm.

By the way, the RPM's these tractors run at is not "running the ****" out of them. Tractors and diesel engines as a whole run very slowly compared to gas, ect.

One other thing is there is no fuel savings running less then PTO speed for these operations. Diesel engines need to run at a stable thermal state. Temp is very important to proper operation of the engine so running it as designed is the best method.

You are over thinking this way too much. Its just a tractor, not the space shuttle.:D

Now have fun, I mean do some work, and quit worrying.

Chris

/ 540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed #4  
Ditto! Engine is designed to run like that all day long...

/ 540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed #5  
Great response from you folks!! I am a novice guy and did wonder about that, but my farming neighbors told me that is what the tractor is designed for and built for. Thanks for the input!!

/ 540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed #6  
Well, 540 rpm uses a lot more diesel than using 750/1000 rpm on light PTO work.
But of course small engines dont work as well as bigger, when i run my chipper i have the engine running at 1100 rpm and the pto at ca 540, a big reduction in the fuel consumption and noise.

/ 540/720 VS 540/1000 PTO speed #7  
Well, 540 rpm uses a lot more diesel than using 750/1000 rpm on light PTO work.
But of course small engines dont work as well as bigger, when i run my chipper i have the engine running at 1100 rpm and the pto at ca 540, a big reduction in the fuel consumption and noise.
You can run the engines any way you want to, nothing is carved in stone. The designated speed indicated on the tachometers is for the maximum horsepower/torque output. What is important is that the engine has reached thermal equilibrium, and isn't lugged, or has a potential for lugging, meaning it cannot accelerate or recover speed from a load applied at full rack.