Oil & Fuel fuel tank

/ fuel tank #1  

slammer3364

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
I have little black junk plugging up my fuelsystem. I took the little screen out of tank and put a filter on the fuel line,it plugged up again on the little hole cominig into the sediment bowl,just wondering if it would be feasible since I already have a filter on the line if I could drill the small hole out so the little stuff goes into the sediment bowl,since it would not go thru the filter........any help appreciated thanks slammer:confused:

/ fuel tank #2  
I think you'd be better off finding where the "little black junk" is coming from and eliminating that problem.

If I understand correctly, you took the strainer screen off the inlet in the fuel tank, and installed an in-line fuel filter. But the stuff got through the filter and plugged the inlet to the carburetor's sediment bowl?

If the fuel line(s) are old, they could be deteriorating on the inside. Likewise if someone replaced the lines with "rubber" lines (e.g., windshield washer rubber hose) which are not intended to carry fuel. You can buy neoprene fuel line by the foot at AutoZone, Advance Auto, Pet Boys, NAPA, etc. You'll need to know the length and inner diameter, probably 1/4" or 5/16". If you are not sure, take the old line with you.

You may also want to consider emptying the fuel tank into a container, and the fuel lines, and the sediment bowl too, and then sloshing a little fuel around in the tank to pick up any left over sediment and dumping that into the container, too. Then put the screen back on the fuel inlet in the tank and start over with fresh fuel.

Drilling out that hole in the sediment bowl is (to use a phrase politicians have been using recently) just kicking the can down the road. Next you'll need to drill out the jets in the carburetor!

/ fuel tank
no the little blck junk comes out of the fuel tank and plugs the small hole where the fuel flows into the sediment bowl. The filter is on the line from the bowl to the injector,the problem is directly out of the tank;)

/ fuel tank #4  
Sounds like a diesel bug contamination. If it's caught early, you can kill the stuff with a biocide, then change filters several times while all the carcasses drain from the tank. But when it gets as bad as you describe, the only practical solution is to remove the fuel tank and basically boil it out. If you've got any more of the infected fuel, get rid of it. Wouldn't hurt to buy your fuel somewhere else either. If that's not possible, treat your fuel with a biocide - and stock up on filters.

//greg//

/ fuel tank #5  
I had the same problem a month ago. The gunk plugged up both filters on my JD 870. I swapped the filters out and cleaned out the bowls with some degreaser. It's awful stuff whatever it is not sure I believe the bugs theory as I've heard contradicting theories on that. Either way once I swapped out the filters and bled the tank a little with the first one removed I haven't had a problem since. I know I wouldn't drill any holes in the filter if I didn't have a secondary one to catch debris but that's me.

/ fuel tank #6  
Yep, diesel bugs. Also known as HUMbugs, for hydrocarbon utilizing microbes. Definitely no joke, and if you don't take all the proper measures they will not only plug up your system, they can corrode your injector pump so badly it will need to be replaced.

You need to drain the fuel tank and purge it completely, possibly remove it and boil it out. Every inch of the fuel system needs to be purged and cleaned. Rubber fuel lines you should probably just replace as the bugs deteriorate them badly.

After you've done all that and obtained fresh fuel, treat that fuel with a biocidal agent like BioBor and run that through the system and then drain it out. Replace with fresh fuel with biocide in it and hope for the best. You should also treat any fuel containers the same way or they will re-infect your system.

Don't wait to do this or you may be buying a new fuel injection pump.

/ fuel tank #7  
You have big problems here. Bad fuel is the issues. Get rid of what you have, clean the tank out, and run fresh fuel with new filers and a quality biocide like Bio-bor.

Chris

/ fuel tank #8  
It's awful stuff whatever it is not sure I believe the bugs theory as I've heard contradicting theories on that.

I'm curious about the contradicting theories you've heard. Believe me, they are real. They can bring a 75,000 HP marine diesel to it's knees within an hour. The organisms are also highly corrosive and can do serious and expensive damage to fuel system components.

Hammonds Companies | Biobor JF

/ fuel tank #10  
Those too, Bob. :thumbsup:

Those diesel bugs can turn a fuel system into trash in short order, I know. Considering that a five dollar can of biocide and a little elbow grease will prevent several hundred dollars worth of damage, I cannot understand why anyone would take a chance with them. Seems like real cheap insurance, to me.:)