Buying Advice 2004 farmpro 2420

/ 2004 farmpro 2420 #1  

marvinbingham

Tractor
long 445 with FEL
Hey guys, I have a chance to buy a 2004 farmpro 2420 diesel with 86 hrs and a 60" finish mower for $2000.00 I have about 3 acres to maintain and I already have a 4' boxscrape for light grading around the house that I want to pull with this tractor. I do not know much about tractors but I would like some feedback on if this is a good deal, thanks Marv

/ 2004 farmpro 2420 #3  
2420 diesel with 86 hrs and a 60" finish mower
FarmPro is sold by Homier, your model is likely based upon the Jinma JM204. Given that Homier specs their own tractors out of China, I'd be inclined to buy parts from them. The 2420 is a decent little tractor, but I can't help but think that's too much mower for a 20hp tractor - for anything other than light mowing that is. That 20hp figure is the engine hp. Using the standard 14% formula, that makes the PTO output about 17hp.

Check all fluids; coolant/engine oil/injector pump oil/hydraulic fluid, and gear oil in the front diff/mid-connect housing/tranny/rear diff. If any of it is dirty and/or milky, flush and replace immediately.

At 86 hours, the head gasket may not have been retorqued either. Put that high on your list.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / 2004 farmpro 2420 #4  
Homiers Farmpros were the same as the Jinmas,they came up with there own model numbers which corrisponded to the the models they purchased at the time,they have not sold tractors for about 3-years now just leftovers,parts tractors.My guess that they are not replacing any parts as they sell them off.While //greg_g // does not want to refer us for parts or anything else,we sell parts to Homier Farmpro when they are out of a part,we have the same manuals,ect.Try to contact Farmpro and see how long it takes to get someone on the phone if you do.We are one of the largest suppliers of Jinma & Foton parts in the USA

Also all of the Chinese tractors are rated at PTO HP not engine as //greg_g // said ,

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales Co.
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ 2004 farmpro 2420
Thank you so much for the info, I just want to know that when I have a problem with the tractor and I will, that I will not be stuck with a chinese made piece of equipment that has no parts available.

/ 2004 farmpro 2420 #6  
Also all of the Chinese tractors are rated at PTO HP not engine
I do not believe you can support that statement with fact. Affordable (and a few associates) are the only US dealers that I've ever seen present that assertion, and then only in discussion forums. Here for example is the current spec sheet on the FarmPro 2010 (the successor to their 2420). Even the Chinese manufacturers and brokers list engine horsepower only. PTO horsepower is never mentioned.

Granted, the Chinese 12 hour method (work over time) yields lower output ratings than does the more common 1 hour method. And then there are simple math errors committed when converting from Chinese kilowatts to SAE horsepower. But to directly equate a 12 hour horsepower rating with PTO horsepower is unsupportable.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / 2004 farmpro 2420 #7  
//greg_g// , why don't you call your friend Ronald @ Ranchhand supply he has Dyno tested alot of Y385T engines, or I guess he cannot be trusted either ?,guess what you are not always right !!, not saying that I am either but you just confuse more people on the simple issues, it's crazy.We have seen 100 times more Jinma Tractors than you have ever seen and you try to be a expert on them,

The OP asked if buying the tractor was a good deal and looking for a parts source if needed,we have put 5' finish mowers on the 20 Hp and if the grass is not to thick they work great,if you ask the other owners of the 20 Hp tractors they are all running 5'- finish mowers,

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ 2004 farmpro 2420 #8  
I guess he cannot be trusted either ?,
Wow, finally something we agree on !!! I'm curious though - how does one go about dyno-testing a PTO shaft?

//greg//

/ 2004 farmpro 2420 #9  
You dyno test a PTO the same way you dyno test rear wheel horsepower, I would think. You hook the PTO to a torque converter and read the pressure it develops against a braking force at stall. Or something similar to that, anyway. I can think of several different ways to do, depending on how accurate you need to be. Heck, you could do it with the PTO hooked to a generator and apply successively higher loads to the generator until you determine the maximum it will generate then convert watts to horsepower. Okay, that one's a bit far-fetched but it would work.

It seems tome that it would be much easier to dyno test a PTO than rear-wheel horsepower on a tractor due to issues with ag tires on dyno rollers. :confused2: Perhaps that's why tractors are generally rated for PTO horsepower rather than brake horsepower? I do know from talking with Ronald that he uses the PTO dyno testing to tune up the tractors he sells/services. And having spoken with him a number of times on technical issues I definitely trust his information.

Last edited:
   / 2004 farmpro 2420 #10