KAMA 454 Overrev then dies

/ KAMA 454 Overrev then dies #1  

rhallman

I had a thread a few years ago on my Kama 454 that would either just die...or would over rev then die. I bought a new injector pump assembly to install, but never installed it due to hearing about how complex that job is. So in the winter I could run it for 45 minutes or so until it would die. Put some snow on the pump and it would cool down and be fine again for another 45 minutes. What is happening is in the summer when it dies...I pour cold water over the pump and it then is ok again...but for only 10-15 minutes. Each time the tractor is cooled down I hear a loud CLICK come from the injector pump, then it starts fine. Until I hear that click, it will not start. Ive been told this is the govenor unsticking. Ive already flushed and re-oiled the pump several times.

So....Since I really want to fix this problem, does anyone have pics of removing the injector pump or steps I need to take to replace the pump?

Thanks...
Rich

/ KAMA 454 Overrev then dies #2  
You made no mention of pump oil. Have you ever changed - or even checked the level of - the pump oil?

//greg//

/ KAMA 454 Overrev then dies
Yes...Ived drained...cleaned with kerosene...Diesel...and refilled with 30w ND Oil. Still have the problem. When the tractor dies...the Injector Pump assembly is not even hot....but throwing cold water on it seems to free up whatever is binding. Again, when I hear the CLICK sound, the tractor starts right up.

/ KAMA 454 Overrev then dies #4  
Again, when I hear the CLICK sound, the tractor starts right up.

Do you have an EGR valve attached to your intake manifold (I'm reaching for things here)?

/ KAMA 454 Overrev then dies #5  
Yes...Ived drained...cleaned with kerosene...Diesel...and refilled with 30w ND Oil. Still have the problem. When the tractor dies...the Injector Pump assembly is not even hot....but throwing cold water on it seems to free up whatever is binding. Again, when I hear the CLICK sound, the tractor starts right up.
Ok. Then what we have to do is rule the pump either in or out of the equation. No sense troubleshooting a component that's not related to the problem.

Get a line wrench to fit the upper hex collar on the injector fuel lines. 19mm I think, but double check to make sure. Carry it with you on the tractor. Next time it quits running, roll to a safe stop in a flat area. Set the brakes and put the tranny in Neutral. Open the hood and loosen all three steel fuel lines at the injectors. Depress the clutch pedal enough to defeat the interlock, then turn the keyswitch to START. While the engine is cranking, watch the hex collars for signs of fuel. Bubbles mean air has gotten in somehow, raw fuel means the pump's ok. No fuel points to a pump problem. If it's the latter, either wait for - or force - that CLICK you described and crank the engine. If you see bubbles turn to raw fuel, the pump's working again and you can tighten the hex collars.

That should determine whether to continue troubleshooting the pump, or to move on to some other engine related problem. Don't know what year your 454 is, mine was a 2004. No EGR valve. I'm thinkin' that was something that came with the 2007 model years, and is why 2006 was the last model year for KAMA in the US.

//greg//

Ok...Il test this out tonight when Im home. I think the tractor is a 2005...But I can confirm later, but I dont think this has an EGR valve.....

Also, when cooling down the pump it doesnt seem to be very hot. I can hold my hand on the pump and feel some warmth...Throw cold water on it and I here the CLICK....then starts. Dont throw water on it....it could take an hour or so before it starts again.

Thanks...

I do not see any bubbles in the fuel when I loosen the hex collars. Looks like solid fuel. Thanks....

/ KAMA 454 Overrev then dies #8  
Well that's it! The problem is in the governor, and I'm thinking the speeder spring is weak not allowing the flyweights to overcome the throttle setting and bringing the rack to the no-fuel position.
Unfortunately, this repair is beyond the scope of the average mechanic so you have two options: 1) Take the fuel injection pump/governor assembly to a diesel shop. 2) Replace the fuel injection pump/governor assembly. They are not sold separately on the retail level.

/ KAMA 454 Overrev then dies #9  
Since you already have a replacement pump, why not slap that on and give it a try. If you succeed, you can have the take-off serviced/repaired at your convenience. Or even just hang on to it for spare parts.

I gotta preamble this by saying I've never had to this on any of my Chinese tractors, so I'm just going to describe how I'd got about it if I ever had to. The only real tricky part is getting the timing right. I'd start by making two marks on your tractor before taking off the old pump; one on the drive housing, and one on the pump itself. Put a mark on the new pump in exactly the same place. when you mount the new pump, mating the line with the one on the drive housing.

Then we come to the tricky part. The pump has a drive tang that must be rotated until it is aligned to mate with the receiver hole in the pump drive. But once the tang and the receiver hole are ready to mate, you come to the tricky part. One way is correct, the other will have the pump turning 180 degrees out of time. The trick is to get the tang in the right position the first time. You can figure there's a 50% chance of having it right, and mount it on a gamble. Once it's primed and bled - and if it starts - you got it right. If it doesn't start, dismount the pump, rotate the tang 180 degrees.

To eliminate some of the gamble, you could remove hard line #1 on the old pump and note the position of the piston. The remove hardline #1 on the new pump. Rotate the tang until the piston is in the same location. With either method, there still might be some fine tuning of the pump to make sure you're not running too rich or too lean.

//greg//

Yesterday I installed the replacement Injector Pump. Was very straight forward and when pulling off the gear of the old pump and bolting on the new one it can only go on 1 of 2 ways. Just make sure you note the markings when installing on the new pump....align the same way as the old one when removed ... and then slip in. No problem. Bleed the fuel and the tractor fired right up. Been using it for a few hours in the heat today and no problems. Ill run for a day or so, then change oil again. Using compressor oil.

Ill have the old one looked at....so Ill have another backup if needed.

Thanks for all the help....

Rich