Front Wheel Snapped Off

/ Front Wheel Snapped Off #1  

jpsheldrake

Tractor
Jimna 284
Hi Again,

I have a 2006 Blue Dog 284, manufactured by Jimna Tractor, 28 hp, 4wd, shuttle shift transmission - Engine Number KM385T - Approx 250 hours.

After my last thread we managed to get the roll pin replaced and today I attempted to do some slashing. Was driving forward and the front right wheel simply snapped and fell off.

I have attached a couple of photos to show end result.

I have also checked some old threads and was wondering if there is any way to get the broken part out of the axle.

Thanks again for your previous help and look forward to any feedback.

Cheers

Justin

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 532
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 339
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 367
   / Front Wheel Snapped Off #2  
Looks like you'lll have to unbolt the housing. I would anyway. The seal is torn and likely the bearing has been damaged when the inner race was torn away. You have to press a new bearing and seal into the housing.

I would guess the shaft broke from metal fatigue. The shaft end has that concentric break look .:(

/ Front Wheel Snapped Off #3  
The part that's still attached to the wheel rim will have to be replaced. That wheel hub and axle stub are one unit. What you see on the drive housing side are two oil seals, a roller bearing, and the other piece of the axle stub. To remove the piece that's still inside, you should drain the gear oil, then remove the drive housing cover plate. The oil seals and bearing should come with it. Once exposed, you'll have better access to the broken piece.

I'd replace - at a minimum - the hub/axle unit, both grease seals, the wheel bearing, and the housing cover gasket. The fact that the housing shows damage suggests the possibility of future gear oil leakage. You might want to think about replacing that too.

//greg//

/ Front Wheel Snapped Off #4  

Attachments

• 184.31.104.jpg
    184.31.104.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 170
   / Front Wheel Snapped Off
Thanks for all the feedback.

Tommy can you confirm your contact numbers and location as there is a big time difference between Australia and the USA.

I will call you to order parts and run through the do's and don'ts.

Cheers,

Justin

/ Front Wheel Snapped Off #6  
Justin:

I have done this 2 times now both times to the left front wheel. on both times I was using 4x4 and FEL work. My tractor is 500 hrs almost now and first one was done moving sand when it was about to start raining & I was in a hurry to get it moved b4 it rained worse. I was in HH1 and the front edge dug in under the pile into the clay that was hard pack under it. I pulled back & raised FEL the added weight while under driving force twisted it off. The last one was just this spring (about 4 years apart) I was attempting to re-direct the creek that decided to use my yard instead of the wash. I was pushing about a yard of gravel (moving it) and hit a boulder that was covered over. I knew the boulder was there but thought it was deeper in gravel. I ended up with close to 100 ton of gravel deposited in 3 separate floods this spring... cost me the axle and some fuel & time and the yard is now still a lot of sand & gravel without much grass...
It took me about 30 min to pull it and fix it the 2nd time... probably 10 min was just running back & forth with the rider getting tools & the parts I forgot, tractor was on mu bridge when it broke I dropped thru the deck after a sharp turn onto the deck.). (there was 15~20 min prep time hooking up trailer and digging out the correct tools) but working on the tractor was the easy & quick part.

have to pull out the large outer hub 6 bolts or so. the outer bearing will probably be trashed it has 2 seals one single and one dual lipped. the top shaft should be OK oil will dump out when you pull the outer cover off. takes about 2~3 quarts to re-fill the gear oil. The bearing is a slight press fit but nothing bad I replaced the inner bearing the 1st time as it felt real loose but the new one was not much worse so I was panicked easy fix just costs some & a bit of time.

I got all my parts from Tommy both times, by now I think he has a shelf with my name on it :D :eek:

edit in: there are two half clips rings that hold the axle ring gear when the outer hub comes off these often are in the grease & oil on the bottom the half rings are needed dont loose them. the ring gear should come out with the inner half of the shaft. it is a slip fit into the inner race of the inner bearing.

mark

/ Front Wheel Snapped Off #7