Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends

/ Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends #1  

HiTork

Tractor
Agracat 2920 (JM254)
Does anyone know what the thread size is on the hydraulic steering cylinder on the front of the JM 254? I have an Agracat which is re-badged Jinma and want to replace the Chinese "pull rod" ends with rod ends such as we use on our race car. The hydraulic steering cylider is in front of the axle, not on the side. The tractor is in Northern Mi. and won't be able to measure shaft and rod ends until later. Second question. has anyone replaced the Chinese tie rod ends with automotive type tie rods? I have never been happy with the slop in the steering on the tractor and feel it can be improved with more precise, closer tolerance pull rod ends. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks,

Scott

/ Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends #2  
Wellllllll.....I don't know about the 254 Jinmas, but my 304 Jinma has tie rod ends that are adjustable. When they're properly adjusted they work just fine. Look at yours - do they have a slot in the flat end? That's the adjuster screw head. Take one apart and see.

/ Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends #3  
   / Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends
All, I know these are adjustable, however they were not adjusted when new and as many have found out too late they should have been set up properly at assembly. I recently adjusted the drag link ends and that made quite a difference. They are however not as tight as I would prefer. As far as the steering pull rod end it is as tight as I can get it. I did put a washer under the spring to shim it tighter, but it is nearly gone. That is the reason I want to go the Heim spherical rod end route if I can, It will do the same job and will precisely control steering inputs. If it is strong enough for aircraft rod ends, race cars and extreme off road trucks it sure will do the job on the front of the Agracat tractor. Another reason I want to do this, is the wear that has occurred on the steering knuckles can easily be corrected with a reamer or drilling and I can match the Heim joint to a standard high grade bolt or special steering stud sold by racing outlets. If I can upgrade the steering components the tractor will be more stable and precise when in use or transit on the roads from place to place. So, that's why I asked about the shaft and thread size of the hydraulic steering shaft, I am guessing that it is M22x1.5 or maybe larger, but have not had the tools to measure it and won't be near the tractor until next week when I return to upper Michigan to work on our new home site.

Thanks,

Scott

/ Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends #7  
Does anyone know what the thread size is on the hydraulic steering cylinder on the front of the JM 254

I am almost sure it is the same Cylinder as the one of my 244E Jinma.
If it is so than it have an M20x1,5 mm Thread.
Few Days ago, i replace the Steering Rubber Boot on the Cylinder and by the way i take a few measurements if i have to replace the Tie Rod Ends someday

/ Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends #8  
I bought an Agracat 200 just before last winter, and had it serviced about a month ago. As the service tech drove it onto my trailer the left front tire would not turn. We examined it and something had slipped off the rod leading to the tire. The tech reconnected it and finished driving it on the trailer and off I went. Now that the mowing season has begun I have used the tractor a few of times to brush hog and mow. However, today as I was mowing the same thing occurred as it did the day the tech drove it onto my trailer. I am uncertain what causes this to reoccur and why the problem occurred in the first place. While reading your thread I wondered if my tractor might be experiencing problems with the hydraulic steering cylinder. Do either of you have any idea what I am referring to, or can you shed some light on the issue I am having with my tractor. I am unable to get secure the bolt so that it will not slip off again. As it is right now I can not move the tractor; it is sitting in the middle of my field. I am posting a couple of pics to give you an idea what I am talking about. I do not have a clue what this part is called but I hope you can give me some pointers or can you help me determine a way to correct the problem? Thank you.

TieRod1.png TieRod3.png TieRod5.png

Last edited:
   / Steering shaft rod ends and Tie rod ends #10