Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 8n, 2005 Taskmaster (Dongfeng)

Default Re: loss of power steering

Yes I did Bob, good find, but not happy information. I'll try a couple of contacts Monday to try and get some more info. Main problem will be connecting at the pump end. Going up to the shop now to "tinker" with it.
    Solution may be a BMFH type special tool.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

I'm thinking you can adapt a standard Lovejoy coupling easily.

http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, 7' Dual Dozer with dual Trimble machine control GCR-2SM laser receivers.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Not sure if a coupler would work but I believe the right size might suffice but working room could be a problem. Have contacted Artrac and they have the correct parts books, they are checking on the parts. Would prefer to replace the balls, coupling and shaft if can. However if need be I belive I can remove the balls from the shaft coupler end by the pump and spot weld the coupler to the shaft. The coupler has splines that mate with the pump shaft. Sure would be the cheaper way to go and would not damage pump and would be no worse off in the future than now.
    Anybody see a problem if I have to resort to the weld thingy.
    thanks Gramps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loss of power steering-constant-flow-pump-jpg  

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

After seeing the diagram I can see that the solution is much simpler than I had previously thought, but you want to keep it stock apparently, or do some welding...
    I digress.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, 7' Dual Dozer with dual Trimble machine control GCR-2SM laser receivers.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

See parts diagram
    After taking the pump, shaft, balls, (i only lost one of eight) and other parts out of the tractor it was pretty easy to see what happened. The shaft on the crank end seems to be in good shape, the pump end has some wear on it. This was caused by the shaft being able to move laterally in the direction of the pump along with it's coupling. This allowed the shaft to back out of the coupling causing the wear and eventual loss of the physical connection. Between the coupling and the pump shaft there was supposed to be a circlip type ring, actually nothing more than a spacer. It was never installed.
    I orderd the parts I believe needed from Artrac. A shaft was not available but I think the one I have will work.
    Thanks for the help all.
    Will post the final results.
    Gramps

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma JM304

Gramps,

A guy on another forum had a similar problem with the front drive shaft on his tractor - the balls has worn the shaft badly, causing it to jump out of engagement. His solution was to replace the balls with short sections of round rod the same diameter as the balls. The increased contact area of the cylinders versus the balls effected a very positive engagement and solved the problem. The same sort of solution may work for you, allowing the worn shaft to still perform satisfactorily.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Was a little leery of the round rods as that may remove all play from the shaft, some needs to be there it seems. Did order new balls and the coupling, plus the spacers that go on the shaft. The coupling I could not use, was out of tolerance. I cleaned up the grooves in the shaft with a dremel and assembled the 4 balls and shaft into the coupling. This is the end that maters to the pump. Then wrapped the coupling and shaft in duct tape to keep the shaft from backing out and balls rolling everywhere as I tried to get the other end of the shaft into the fitting on the crank. little room, no visibility and any other handicap you can think of. I put a little grease in the lower grooves and then set the balls in the crank fitting grease, then in the upper grooves of the shaft some grease, and set the balls in those grooves. the grease did help hold the balls in place. Then slowly slid the shaft with it's 2 upper balls into the crank fitting. LO & BEHOLD, first try they went together. Now to hold the other end of the shaft requires a helper while I crawl out from under the machine. Wife in this case. Was a pain to align the pump shaft to the coupling in the drive shaft but after considerable fiddling we got it. Bolted the pump in, checked to make sure the new o rings in the oil lines were still in place ( these also had a dab of grease to keep them in place) and then the rest of the bolts for the oil lines went in nicely. If you look at the finished assembly you will see a red ring. This went on the shaft of the pump and was missing when I took everything apart. It was also not available as a replacement part but I made one out of a washer drilled out to shaft size and drifted to the rear of the shaft then placed another spacer just forward of that for correct shaft play. Connected the battery and cranked her over and Soo Ling had power steering again. YEA!! I made all this rather long in the hopes it may help someone else so I hope it did not tire you out.
    Thanks for all that help and ideas.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/i...lies/smile.gif
    Gramps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loss of power steering-dsc02164-jpg   loss of power steering-dsc02165-jpg   loss of power steering-dsc02167-jpg   loss of power steering-dsc02172-jpg  

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Nice job! Hope it holds up for you.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Nice fix Gramps.

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12