Look what I got for $1700

/ Look what I got for $1700 #31  
The ammeter reading in the red does not necessarily mean an electrical short. It only means that the tractor is consuming more current than the alternator is producing, and the battery is making up the difference. The ammeter measures current flow in/out of the battery.

The factory alternator has 3 connections. An output terminal with a heavy wire that has a path to the battery through the ammeter, and 2 smaller ones that connect to the voltage regulator.

The 2 smaller wires are marked "F" and "-". The "-" is simply a ground wire. The "F" terminal connects to the alternator field winding. When a voltage is applied to this terminal current flows through the field winding, causing the alternator to send current out of the output terminal.

If you do not see a half a volt or so increase the the voltage on the output terminal when the engine starts, The next step is to check for a voltage on the "F" terminal. If there is a voltage present, the problem is the alternator.

If there isn't any voltage on the "F" terminal, the next step would be to find the voltage regulator.

The voltage regulator will have 3 connections to it, a ground, a wire that connects to the alternator "F" terminal, and a wire that connects to switched 12V.

Check for voltage on the wire going to the alternator. If voltage is present you have an open connection between voltage regulator and alternator.

If no voltage was present check for voltage on the terminal that goes to the switched 12V . If voltage is present here you have a bad voltage regulator. If no voltage is present trace this wire back. It probably goes to the fuse box. On my tractor it is connected through a 3 Amp fuse, the wiring diagram posted previously does no show this fuse, so your tractor might not have one.

As others have mentioned, if either the alternator, or regulator are bad, the cheapest solution would be to replace with a GM internal regulated alternator.

Stan

/ Look what I got for $1700 #32  
Just for the record, odds are there's no 3rd wire on the FarmPro. The older Jinmas used a 2-wire VR, no switched/fused lead.

//greg//

/ Look what I got for $1700
Thanks for the help guys..still digging in this thing.

I enclosed a couple of pictures for the following question:

Where the heck is the regulator?

Also, does this look like an OEM alternator or something else? Could explain why I cant find the regulator..but it could also mean I'm a doofus.

Thanks

/ Look what I got for $1700 #34  

Also, does this look like an OEM alternator or something else? Could explain why I cant find the regulator..but it could also mean I'm a doofus.

Thanks
ya thats a alternator

/ Look what I got for $1700 #35  

Thanks

Well i wish you would have posted the "wiring" pic first, because that is a real "thars ur problem right thar" moment. Your voltage regulator is MISSING. It should be in that empty plug near the top of the fuse block. Your alternator, like mine actually has 4 wires running to it. One is (wire #4) the regulated DC output to the electrical system. The other 3 wires go to the regulator. Since your parts look like mine, I am guessing that this schematic in the link below, will apply to your tractor also. One of the dealers who participate here should be able to get you that regulator.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...28-jinma-284-electrical-schematic-2005-a.html

/ Look what I got for $1700 #36  
   / Look what I got for $1700 #37  
   / Look what I got for $1700 #38  
I have found mine loose before, so i ran I zip-tie around it to insure it would not fall out...

Same problem here, same solution! :laughing:

/ Look what I got for $1700
Wow.

Thanks for the help guys. Tommy, I'm placing an order tonight for parts.

I got all the fluids changed and took her around the acres (sans regulator). This is a fast little machine. Surprisingly fast. Big difference from all the gear shifting in my NH 1920. Plus a few added goodies like a friggen horn, turn signals and a canopy made it really nice.

I'm looking forward to winter now.

Only thing left is trying to figure out how to get that F*$^#$@ fuel filter off. Its like welded on there or something.

You guys are awesome!

Last edited:
   / Look what I got for $1700 #40  
Yeah, one of mine was stuck bad too. Glued on with paint I think. When my filter strap started to crush the filter housing, I simply got a bigger hammer (and screwdriver). Drove the screwdriver clean through the filter housing, then finally broke it free with the screwdriver handle.

Don't equate speed with power though. You'll soon find out that H2 and H3 are pretty useless as "working" gears. They're almost exclusively for unladen transport. Most of my work was done in L2/L3/H1.

//greg//