Look what I got for $1700

/ Look what I got for $1700 #1  

theghoul

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 / Farmpro (Jinma) 2425
I needed a backup machine for my Ford 1920. I was trying to find a subcompact or even a beefy riding mower to do light hauling and mowing tall weeds.

Fate intervened and I found this divorce sale for this Farm Pro 2425 w/ 236 hrs and included a finish mower, backblade and hauling cart.

It has one problem though, the battery wont charge. I'm hoping its something simple.

Wow, this thing has a lot of controls.. A fuel cut off?

The manuals that came with it are hilarious. I couldn't help but read them in broken English.

What do you think? Good deal or dump it quick?

Attachments

• farmpro.jpg
    farmpro.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 643
   / Look what I got for $1700 #2  
Many reasons for a battery not charging; (a) the battery itself not accepting a charge, (b) the alternator not putting out sufficient charging voltage, (c) a loose/slipping/missing alternator belt, (d) wiring, to mention a few. The fix could cost anything from $0 to $125, depending upon what you need to replace - and what you replace it with. To me that's not worth arbitrarily dumping a $1700 investment.

Obviously you'll have to follow the traditional electrical troubleshooting tree. We're here to help with that. So let's start by asking if you have access to a digital electrical multimeter?

//greg//

/ Look what I got for $1700 #3  
Preliminaries:
Water in the battery?
Cleaned the terminals?

/ Look what I got for $1700 #4  
It has one problem though, the battery wont charge. I'm hoping its something simple.

If it has the original chinese battery, throw that out and get a new better one. That is where I would start, those batteries are junk. Also check ALL connections, basically start with the cheapest stuff 1st then go from there.

I had a 254 and wish I didn't let it go, it NEVER let me down.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #5  
You will need a meter to check the output of the alternator,the voltage regulators have also been a known problem.I think you got a great buy at $ 1,700.00,if you take off the value of the implements you prob. have less than $ 500.00-600.00 in the tractor.Parts are avaliable thru us or several other parts dealers.Your FarmPro is the same as the Jinma 254 tractor

Let us know if we can help

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
www.affordabletractorsalesco.com

/ Look what I got for $1700
Many reasons for a battery not charging; (a) the battery itself not accepting a charge, (b) the alternator not putting out sufficient charging voltage, (c) a loose/slipping/missing alternator belt, (d) wiring, to mention a few. The fix could cost anything from $0 to $125, depending upon what you need to replace - and what you replace it with. To me that's not worth arbitrarily dumping a $1700 investment.

Obviously you'll have to follow the traditional electrical troubleshooting tree. We're here to help with that. So let's start by asking if you have access to a digital electrical multimeter?

//greg//

I have mulitimeter and will start working my way back. I'll charge the battery first and see if it'll at least hold a charge.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that there are some grounding issues that may be present.

I'm on it today! I'll keep you updated!

/ Look what I got for $1700
You will need a meter to check the output of the alternator,the voltage regulators have also been a known problem.I think you got a great buy at $ 1,700.00,if you take off the value of the implements you prob. have less than $ 500.00-600.00 in the tractor.Parts are avaliable thru us or several other parts dealers.Your FarmPro is the same as the Jinma 254 tractor

Let us know if we can help

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

Good to know. I WILL be ordering parts soon from you guys I'm sure.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #8  
I'd have bought that deal in a heartbeat! If you do find that the charging system is at fault after cleaning connections, checking the battery etc, look on here and the web for changing the altenator to a 10 or 12 si Delco three wire. You then will not need a regulator either. Or you can juyst replace OEM parts but generally the electrical system on these is not known for its strength or robustness. A little checking and wrenching and I think you will be happy with your purchase

/ Look what I got for $1700 #9  
for 1700 a great buy!
I have a 284 and the electrical (battery and alt) are as others have sudjested not the best quality. First is to do a load test on your battery. Just take out both battery and alt and bring them to a local place that services altinators they will do a test on both for you. But chances are that the alt will need rebuilding (aprx 100 to 150) and the battery replaced.
They are nice little machines I use mine a lot.
I would change all fluids in it also, oil sump, hydrolic, power steering, rear and front end along with the oil in the injector pump.
I believe you will be happy with your new purchase:thumbsup:

/ Look what I got for $1700 #10  
I seem to recall a gentleman who has posted on here who put the Jinma engine in a pickup(search this forum). He discovered that a mazda b2000(I think) alternator was a nearly direct bolt-on with only minor mechanical changes required to install. It would of course need some wiring changes as any alternator with an internal regulator will, but that is fairly easy compared to fabbing the mount hardware to properly align the alt pully and allow proper tensioning. The Delco's are great, and found everywhere, but I don't know how much extra work would be required to physically mount it. It is also way overkill for your electrical needs on this little tractor. You don't need a very large alternator. I think the stock alt is only rated for 15-20A output, and when working properly is more than adequate unless you start adding large working lights/electrical load. In fact if you don't use it after dark much, you could probably get by with adding a float charger/battery maintainer and just plugging in the beast whenever you park it so you have a full charge available for startup...

Good find, I too would have jumped at that in a heartbeat:)